I want to.... Wait for it.... LOWER my Pathy

Vicnair

First off... Let me stop you right there, I am going to lower my pathfinder. Why? Because EVERYONE in Louisiana has a lifted truck with smoke stack exhaust. Not saying I hate that, hell, I have a lifted truck, but right now I want something that isn't seen everyday. That is what I want and if you think its stupid then fine by me.

Can anyone help me with lowering my pathfinder. I want about a 1-2" static drop on the rear. I already tweeked the torsion bars and thats about how much lower I got the front. I found this coil for the rear but not positive.... The customer support was all too ready to sell them to me, but will it give me a inch and a bit drop. Can anyone confirm this?

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Nissan/Pathfinder/Moog/Coil_Springs/1991/MCCC247.html?apwcid=apwecn&003=29204732&CS_010=apw1991nipacospMCCC247

I doubt it, but there really isn't any technical info there to go by either. They might even be stiffer, having the progressive coils...

What I would do is ask around for an old stock set of springs that have sagged and are being replaced, then cut an inch or two off of them. This will lower the truck, and stiffen up the spring a little as well.

That said, I hope your Pathfinder is a 2x4, lowered 4x4s annoy me.

B

Thank you, the chat support was all too eager to sell them too me saying I had a warranty and 30 days to return them and stuff. So much that I found this forum and asked.

It is 2WD.

Cutting springs? I heard thats a big no no?

Thank you, the chat support was all too eager to sell them too me saying I had a warranty and 30 days to return them and stuff. So much that I found this forum and asked.

It is 2WD.

Cutting springs? I heard thats a big no no?

You are welcome.

2WD? Well, that is OK then! :D

Yes and no, depends on the realistic application. Let me try to explain it as best as I know:

A coil spring is just a straight lever spring that is twisted. (forget that coil springs are made of round material (read easier/cheaper) and lever springs are square or rectangular in cross section (better control of characteristics). A lever/coil spring made from rod really only has 3 defining characteristics; the material properties, the diameter and the length. The length is the significant determining factor in the spring rate.

If you want to lower your Honda so you cut 2" off of a 8" coil, yes, it is 2" lower but not just 25% stiffer. I don't have the equasion on hand (I'm sure the internet does) but it will be more like 40% stiffer. This is why you see lowered Hondas going down the road riding like they have I-beam leaf springs...

So, if you start with a old/sagged stock pathfinder spring, it is already 1-1.5" lower and has a lower spring rate due to metal fatigue. By cutting another 1-2" (IIRC the stock spring is about 14", the info is here somewhere), you will lower the vehicle that much and return the spring closer to the stock spring rate, hopefully not too much stiffer. Even if it is a little stiffer, it will help you from bottoming out with the loss of travel. By this model, you would have a Pathfinder that is lowered 2-3.5". It is a crude guess, but I think you should see what I mean. I'm sure there are spring rate calculators you can access to be more precise...

B

• 2 weeks later...