Dealing with rust yet again.....

NIssanBoston

Hello, as many of you know i recently took my pathfinder in a month or so ago to nissan for the strut recall, upon furthur inspection yesterday of seeing if any of the rust came back i noticed a new rust spot (Yay!) Well its across from the steering shaft and near where the crease of the strut tower connects to the engine bay. I re-readed the nissan recall procedure and it doesnt seem like thats an area that is covered under the recall area. I did notice the metal piece they put in the wheel well the hole is right in front of the metal piece 2 holes to be exact. That lead me to think that they new about the 2 holes and didnt do anything about it when i took it in for the recall, i am going to try to take a picture of it but its going to be hard with space issues. I came here seeking answers. Should i bring my truck back to nissan (would they even do the recall again?), or should i just tackle the rust spot myself(no experience with filling rust holes whatsoever.) This is crucial because this is my DD and i have my 17 month daughter with me almost all the time and i dont want to endanger her. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sounds like you're talking about the inside (engine compartment side) of the strut tower, correct? If so, I'd think Nissan should be on the hook for that, as that IS the strut tower, just the side of it that most people would never see (or even think about). It would be pretty ridiculous for Nissan to deny that (though certainly believable) part of their inspection/repair process should encompass that area. I've never looked over the procedure (I probably will now though), maybe Nissan or your dealer either overlooked it or are banking on nobody looking at the "other" side and just repairing inside the wheel well, where anybody can see.

6 months after having both my towers repaired I junked my truck because the whole passenger frame rail rotted away behind their "repair". That area isn't covered under the recall. My lower control arm rear mount area wasn't attached to anything except dust, but that isn't covered under the recall, it starts only 2" behind the recall patch and extended for about 10" to the rear. See BrianD photos, his looks much better that mine. I thought the patches would last me a few years...and like I said 6 months later I was to afraid to drive it because it started to shake and creek. I didn't feel safe with my dog in the truck let alone a child. The good news is for $2995 I bought a 2003 and still have the old one for parts. The "new" truck makes the '98 feel like the Flintstonemoble.

Edited by kdj

I had the same problem. ( the seam that is under the air box) I cut out the rust and borrowed a buddy's MIG welder, and burnt in a patch and then another piece of 3mm plate on top to brace it ( first time welding and I think it should be Ok, no pics 'cause the welds are so ugly.) then sprayed in all down with bedliner and covered it up with epoxy putty on the inside of the fender well, sprayed that all down with bedliner too.

I figure I'll get another 3 or so years out of it.

Yeah i believe you kdj..., my repair patches are already starting to rust, honestly the way they fixed THEIR problem is quite pathetic.., ill tell you this im never buying a nissan.again after i experienced how they dealt with me. Next car im buying is a toyota or jeep. I like companys that treat theor customers with respect and will actually fix there mistakes.. i have an appointment at nissan tomorrow to.get it looked at.

6 months after having both my towers repaired I junked my truck because the whole passenger frame rail rotted away behind their "repair". That area isn't covered under the recall. My lower control arm rear mount area wasn't attached to anything except dust, but that isn't covered under the recall, it starts only 2" behind the recall patch and extended for about 10" to the rear. See BrianD photos, his looks much better that mine. I thought the patches would last me a few years...and like I said 6 months later I was to afraid to drive it because it started to shake and creek. I didn't feel safe with my dog in the truck let alone a child. The good news is for $2995 I bought a 2003 and still have the old one for parts. The "new" truck makes the '98 feel like the Flintstonemoble.

spu5xy.jpg

28spve1.jpg

4j3pde.jpg

All inside the engine bay... I talked to nissan today and was very disappointed as to what they told me. Quote on quote " Sorry sir but if it's in the engine bay we don't really do anything for that the recall has us putting plates on the wheel well and doing the treatment on the wheel well. " So i say to them , "Alright then so what am i suppose to do about the rust and when the strut tower detaches from the engine bay?" "Sir that will not happen the plate that we installed during the recall is to support that and connect the 2 pieces together . That will not detach." That's complete utter bullsh!t. I am so upset at what they are telling me its all bullsh!t lies. I fought and fought the guy i was talking to and he agreed to let me bring it in Monday now ... for furthur inspection . Ontop of all of this it was the service manager i was . How should i go into nissan monday? Should i print out documents of the recall? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Gave you a good link in the Facebook post. They didn't do the repair right at all. I'd call Nissan corporate and talk to them about a competent dealer. Since that one cant even follow color pictured directions.

Sent from my Moto X

Edited by Rebelord

Yeah i appreciate that i am going to call corporate monday. inspected my patches today. what do you know? The fiberglass they put on is already coming apart, bits and bits of the little strands are coming apart.

Gave you a good link in the Facebook post. They didn't do the repair right at all. I'd call Nissan corporate and talk to them about a competent dealer. Since that one cant even follow color pictured directions.

Sent from my Moto X