Roof Rack Removal

ryanc

I did a quick search and came up empty.... How do you remove the roof rack on a 91? :shrug:

I pulled off all the cross bars and tried unscrewing the 4 or 5 screws that are in the channel but they just spin. I started pulling the headliner down and it looks like there are rivets holding the screw in under the support ribs?

I am fixing some pretty bad rust spots on my roof and some of them go up under the rack.

Have you tried holding the rivet type thing on the inside while trying to unscrew from the top? If you have no one to help you, try putting a large vice-grip on the rivet and then tapping in a wood shim, wedge or something in between the side of the vice-grip and and roof to bind it in place. There have to be threads in there or they wouldn't have used screws...

B

The screw heads started stripping out when I tried that So I just drilled them out. The screws were screwed into rivets that attached it to the roof

They just started using riv nuts to install the mud flaps on new Silverados here at the dealership I work at. They work a lot better than the whole self tapping screw process they used to use.