Knock sensor issue

Manik

On my way to work this morning the CEL light came on on me pathy. I waited til lunch and checked the codes and it tossed out a code 34, knock sensor code. Is this an issue that I can get away with not not dealing with it right now?

Generally, I think it can wait, aside from the pesky CEL light that is on, I have yet to notice a change in driveability.

Any thoughts?

Redneck, GEARHEAD, fabricator, are just a few of my "specialties"....

Bubba says it all!!

It's not detrimental for the time being but you may notice a slight drop in performance and a slight increase in fuel consumption until you replace it. You can also relocate it and splice into the harness if you want to avoid pulling the plenum, BUT ideally you replace it of course.

Edited by Nefarious

Ok, so here's the weird thing, after the light came on and I posted this, the light went out all by its lonesome. That's the first time that light has ever come on and hopefully the last::crossing fingers::

Not holding my breath though.

Bubba says it all!!

Ok, so here's the weird thing, after the light came on and I posted this, the light went out all by its lonesome. That's the first time that light has ever come on and hopefully the last::crossing fingers::

Not holding my breath though.

Bubba says it all!!

Sometimes its just a loose wire at the harness and not the actual sensor so you can try checking that...its much easier than replacing the sensor. I have two friends that have relocated theirs to the top of the block with a relocation kit which took less than an hour to do.

Will have to check on it for sure, but, now the lights off, but, issue hasn't been forgotten. Relocation kit huh, hmm, anyone have a part number by chance? Naa, I can just look it up on the good ol' interweb.

Bubba says it all!!

I believe it was a Nissan kit. I'll ask him next time I see him and take a pic so you can see where he installed it. He has a 2000 Xterra. The knock sensor on the 3.3 is in the same hard to reach place.

It doesn't require a kit. You just find a place on the top of the intake plenum; central to the cylinder banks, and place the new knock sensor there. You then find the wire(s) (I can't remember if it's one or two wires) and splice on a new connector from nissan and you are good to go. There's a guide on youtube that a guy made for the r50 but it's the exact same method.

another possibility is you could have possibly got bad gas, which was causing mild detonation. This would also have the possibility to set off the knock sensor code. Hopefully it stays gone!

• 2 weeks later...

That'd be cool, thanks Pav.

Bubba.....

Hi...sorry for the delay. I finally bumped into him today walking my pooch. The kit was from Nissan...you can see my friend holding it and where he bolted it. Cheers

2014-10-08172257_zps97c17061.jpg