Few questions about 89 parthfinder engine sending units

aw12345

I have had in my possesion a 89 Nissan Pathfinder buggy thing for the last 2 years. After many hours of tinkering, it running driving and flexing. What remains is fabricating a dash with workiing gauges and making under armor for the belly, trans and oil pan and some other odds and ends. One of the first things I want to tackle is the gauges. I got a stock cluster but it's missing the voltage limiter/ regulator, so it's basically nothing but a paper weight. Are those things available in the aftermarket? Doesn't seems so. Which gets me to the next question what size and thread type are the coolant temp and oilpressure sensor? Would seem both have metric fine thread?

Any way here's a few pics of it flexing

15043235799_369c7e85a4_c.jpgWIN_20140913_163715 by aartjestaartje, on Flickr

15043321340_66765a3ccc_c.jpgWIN_20140913_163706 by aartjestaartje, on Flickr

15206974376_468f0ca98d_c.jpgWIN_20140913_163646 by aartjestaartje, on Flickr

15230005175_437c1e8434_c.jpgWIN_20140913_163153 by aartjestaartje, on Flickr

15229640592_987a1915b8_c.jpgWIN_20140913_163214 by aartjestaartje, on Flickr

• Like 1

I imagine the voltage regulator could be bodged with voltage regulator ICs, if you know what the outputs should be. Otherwise, a wrecking yard would probably sell you a whole cluster for cheap.

Best I can think of for the sensors is to get an assortment of metric fine thread bolts and see what fits the sensors.

After wallpapering had a bit of time to play
Went junk yarding and found some more pieces to the puzzle. Got 2 voltage limiters for the cluster, all the pigtails for thee cluster.
A transmission control module with pig tails, so happy camper. Now on to the steel yard for some tubing to make a belly pan frame.
First voltage limiter didn't work, second one succes, Scrappy got working gauges and idiot lights. Another item of the list.
Fixing the transmission controller is going to be more fun. Biggest question so far is how bad it needs the speed sensor?
If truly needed, I'll have to either run a speedo cable to the cluster, or strip a speed sensor out of a junk yard cluster, make a short cable and drive it of the transmission. Oh well one worry at the time. After this wiring bit I want to go do some welding so belly skid plate is next.
By the way in the last action shot the one tire is at least five and a half feet of the ground

• 1 year later...

Wheeled the snot out of this buggy for 2 years, now getting bored so time to put the restlessness to bed and do some wrenching. Thing burns oil and smokes like a choochoo train so engine is getting rebuild, seriously thinking about new camshafts with more duration. Went to the junkyard today and scored a newewr ecu with pretty much all needed wirinmg and plugs. Going back tomorrow for the intake manifold and related parts, to convert this engine from tbi to port injection. Going to be ecstatic if it's running strong by late August for a wheelin trip to New Mexico and

southern Colorado

Here's the old gurl in it's current rendition

26340475733_6ab133faf0_b.jpgdabuttes34 by aartjestaartje, on Flickr

Edited by aw12345
  • Like 1