Noice in the front of engine

hagge

Hi!

I have a sort of grinding noice in front of the engine that i can't locate on my 94 3.0 V6

It seems to dissapear a bit when engine is warm.

I'm thinking waterpump, oilpump or something with the timingbelt or timingbelt tensioner.

The timingbelt has been replaced at 200 000km according to previous owner, now i'm at 250 000km.

If i would try to describe the sound, it's a bit like a coffe grinder.

Any tips how find the problem?

Regards

Hägge

The idler pulley on the top for one of the belts is a common suspect, but fan clutch, water pump and anything else that spins is possible. Check the fan clutch to see if/how it spins and if it wobbles or is loose...

Buy a mechanic stethoscope or cheap by using a long metal rod or screw driver, place one end on a part or area, cup your hand around the other end of it, and listen. This usually works well to narrow down sound origins.

B

Thanks Precice1!

I dont think i have that top Idler pulley since i have no AC compressor.

And the fan clutch was removed when i changed to electric fan.

Whwn just looking and lstening it seems to be comming from the engine top middle area around waterpump or the timingbelt cover.

As you suggested i listned with a large flathead screwdriver but could not locate the sound.

Waterpump seems to have been changed not to long ago.

Could the timingbelt hit the cover?

Well, that gets rid of two posibilities... ;)

Normally it shouldn't... There is a tensioner/idler for the timing belt that could make noise as well, but if the water pump was changed, hopefully the timing belt and idler were also at the same time.

At this point, I would remove or loosen and suspend the two remaining belts and start the vehicle to see if it is still making the same noise, and try again to see if you can pin point it.

B