Bumping/kick in second gear?

sunovertone

So, I just fixed my distributor, got my PF running, everything sounds good, except when driving around in second gear, when I have my hand on the shifter, it feels like something is kicking the gear shifter... randomly.

I really hope this doesn't indicate future problems with the tran! It shifts fine, stays in gear, doesn't make the noise in first gear. It has plenty of power and shifts and engages in every gear. Any ideas? I do live on a dirt road, but i don't think i would feel the bumps in the shifter like that...?

If it's random (not in sync with stuff spinning in the trans), I'd take a look underneath, see if maybe something is in fact stuck up in there and banging against the shifter.

I guess it could be a bad motor or trans mount letting the whole thing move, if the engine wasn't running well, but that doesn't make sense with it only happening in second gear. If you put your hand on the transfer case shifter, can you feel the kicking there, too?

It does seem random and does not appear to have any movement in transfer case shifter. The engine is running well, no probs there. I will look underneath and see if i can see anything dragging. I know I might be contradicting here, but it is somewhat random, but also sometimes in sync with spinning it seemed?? Very strange, changes gears just fine, only happens traveling down the road.

I just changed my distributor out, myself, without a timming gun or anything, could that have upset the timing, or anything to do with the issue? But the engine sound fine...just the trans...perplexing. I hope its not runing the gear teeth or something.

Does it happen only when accelerating and decelerating, not softly but a little more aggressively. Mine does that too, always did. It only seems to be noticeable in second the shift lever seems to move backward then forward. I find when I give a lot of gas it appears to move backward then go forward, otherwise nothing

If it happens at a constant speed with no changes that would be more worrying, but I would crawl under and check all the mounts.

Having just lost a shift fork I have some new knowledge, the critical thing is that it does not pop out of gear, if it just seems to move that is most likely engine or transmission movement.

I was just about to post the new news I discovered, It seems it only happens upon excelaration! Seems smooth the rest of the time, and mostly in second, but a little in third, but fourth and fifth perfect! A little tough shifting into 3rd sometimes.

Hmm... right.

I would start by checking the motor mounts and the trans mount. If the engine and trans are sitting funny, the the trans shifter (and maybe the transfer case shifter as well) could be fouling on the floor or binding up on the rubber bits. I've read that body-lifted Pathfinders won't go into 4LO without modding the transfer case shaft, and I imagine a trans rolled to the left side could cause something similar.