Mysterious Rear Rattle

Matthew K

One of the things that drives me crazy is a rattle that I can't pinpoint in my 2001 SE automatic. Here's what I've noticed/done.

For the past 3 weeks or so here in northern Virginia, I've noticed a pretty loud rattle come from what sounds like the right rear passenger door or cargo area of the vehicle. This rattle only happens for the first 15-20 minutes of driving after it's been sitting for a while, and when the temperature is 40 or below. It definitely sounds like it's coming from the inside, but rattles are weird, so it could be coming from underneath...hard to tell.

I've taken the right rear passenger door off and made sure everything was tight, including the track, speaker, and all the brass screws that hold the fiber board backing onto the panel. I removed and lubricated the rear seatbelt and made sure that wasn't rattling. I also took out as much of the rear paneling as possible to make sure nothing was rattling there. I even put two screws into the little flip-up hidden compartment that's inside the hatch that's behind the rear right wheel well. I couldn't figure out how to pull this compartment out and it was sloppy, so I had to put screws into it to hold it down. I've banged on the glass (both rear and side rear windows) and couldn't get them to rattle. I made sure all the bolts holding the rear window hinges/lift shocks were tight and I put some foam rubber behind the rear license plate. All the rear seats are tight and there's nothing on the floor.

The flip-up shallow compartment below the rear carpeting is empty as is the cargo area itself. I even took out the rear pull shade, but I still get the rattle.

I know all vehicles are different and have different circumstances, but has anyone else had any rear rattles? This might give me some other ideas of what to try. I've tried to duplicate the rattle by banging on pretty much everything in the rear of the vehicle both inside and out. Since it only happens for the first 20 minutes or so, I'm thinking it must be temperature related, so I guess I'll look at the exhaust system next. Thanks a lot and sorry for the long post.

Matt

hey matt,

Yea, your speculation is probably correct. I would guess the exhuast heat shields judging by what you have described. My 97 was ratting for a while and i couldn't figure it out turned out to be the heat shields had rusted off on one side and just bounced as I drove. So crawl on under there and check the cat and muffler for loose heat shields... any other suggestions?

second: what part of NoVa are you from? I am at school in Ohio, but I still spend summers and breaks back home in Fairfax/Springfield area.

-cameron

One of the things that drives me crazy is a rattle that I can't pinpoint in my 2001 SE automatic. Here's what I've noticed/done.

I get that too. I too have an 01 SE Pathfinder. It's pretty cold here too so it might be temperature related. I haven't noticed it the summer since I have the radio going pretty loud. :huh:

I checked visually on the outside without jacking the car up. I thought a rear shock snapped or something, but eveyrthing looks solid. I haven't had time to jack up my car and take a look underneath yet. Let me know what you find.

Thanks a lot guys. I still haven't found it, but I hope to this weekend....

Cameron,

I'm actually moving to West Springfield this weekend. Maybe you'd like to get together sometime when you're home from school.

Thanks again.

Matt