Timing Belt Whine? (Video)

Ryanbro530

Hello All, Longtime forum reader here, although I have just created my account I have owned my 95 Pathfinder for over a year now.

My pathfinder has been sitting for about 6 months now due to repairs needed to be done and no cash to fund them. Until last week I began rebuilding the front suspension. When I purchased the pathfinder with 140K miles I immediately paid someone to do the timing belt, due to a lack of tools and time. Now when I started it up after doing the front end, I noticed a squealing or chirping sound coming from the front of the engine. Since it has been sitting since the timing repair I am unable to say if the sound was there before or not.

**Waiting for youtube videos to upload**.

Now for my concerns: The crankshaft pulley to ac compressor to tensioner pully belt is wobbling slightly(seen best at the bottom of the engine), is this normal? I dont see any concerning wobble in the pulleys.

As for the noise, it is easiest heard in the 18 second video when I rev the engine. Is this noise a belt whine? or a timing belt whine (I have heard that timing belts will whine a bit while they stretch after installation) As for the person I paid to install the belt, he is a retired tractor mechanic that I was referred to by multiple people so I would like to imagine he did things the right way. I have an exhaust leak so try to ignore that.

Any input is greatly appreciated,

Thanks -Ryan

Is this the first time you have started it up since the timing belt has been changed? If so, besides for the timing belt tensioner (Hopefully you put a new one on) it could also be the screw is not tightened fully on the dust cover behind the harmonic balance & rubbing as it turns. Are all the pullies turning properly, could a belt be loose or skipping over one that is locked up? As for the crankshaft pulley, it shouldn't be wobbling. I believe there are 4 little bolts that hold it in place, check to make sure these are tight. Good luck, once the video is uploaded let us know.

Doesn't sound good, whatever it is.

I would drop the drive belts (steering pump/air conditioner/alty) one at a time, start it, see if it still makes the noise. If one belt makes the noise go away, you can check out whatever's on that belt rather than diving into the engine.

As for the wobbling, if the crank pulley is on right, maybe the harmonic balancer is shot?

I didn't even see the wobble, and I was looking for it. I think it's something like a compressor pulley bearing going out, or the alternator belt needs tightening