91 pathfinder xe spontaneous erradic engine misfires?

Hello fellow pathfinder owners, I have a 91 xe that most of the time will run perfectly. I can run all day with no problems and with out any warning I start experiencing what feels like random engine misfires and have to pull of the road and shut the engine off. While this is happening the RPM gauge jumps back and fourth from 1k to red line in a twitchy type fashion. I then wait a few minutes and it will start and run as if nothing was wrong.

Just a little history on the vehicle: Before this started I had distributer problems and replaced it, also jumped time and put new belt on it. 200 miles after these repairs this nonsence started. I've rechecked timing since and is good.

The RPM gauge will also twitch back and fourth with the engine off (key in on position) while pressing on the gas (hot or cold) when having this problem.

Thanks allot for reading my ramblings.

I cant explain the tach jumping, but take a look at your ignition leads. Ive had a pathfinder that had leads arcing to the valve cover, causing extreme loss of power and misfiring. May not be the correct solution, but hopefully it helps.

Well I swapped the ignition leads from my other pathfinder that I drive regularly and after awhile I am still having the same problem. I don't think at this point the plug wires are the problem.

Also the misfires feel like they are from random cylinders and not a single cylinder missfire.

Anybody have any other suggestions

Thanks

ORIGINAL POST:

(Hello fellow pathfinder owners, I have a 91 xe that most of the time will run perfectly. I can run all day with no problems and with out any warning I start experiencing what feels like random engine misfires and have to pull of the road and shut the engine off. While this is happening the RPM gauge jumps back and fourth from 1k to red line in a twitchy type fashion. I then wait a few minutes and it will start and run as if nothing was wrong.

Just a little history on the vehicle: Before this started I had distributer problems and replaced it, also jumped time and put new belt on it. 200 miles after these repairs this nonsence started. I've rechecked timing since and is good.

The RPM gauge will also twitch back and fourth with the engine off (key in on position) while pressing on the gas (hot or cold) when having this problem.

Thanks allot for reading my ramblings.)

Is it a 1991 like you stated, or a 1995 like your information says? It could make a difference... :shrug:

Step one would be to check the ECU for stored error codes. The break down is in the Garage/How To section.

B

+1 on codes.

My halfwit first guess is that the crank angle sensor's getting weird. It's not unusual for the tachometers on these to spaz out on their own, but having it spaz at the same time as the engine suggests a shared problem... and I'll bet the tach runs off the angle sensor.