No Start Pathy - Electrical Issues, Clicking, Randomly Dying

pbakez

I have been reading every post I can about electrical issues for weeks now, but none of them describe my issue and I haven't been able to resolve on my own.

I have a 95 Pathy M/T w/200,000 miles on it. It is mechanically a tank but out of the blue I have had an electrical issue pop up.t started over a month ago when I was on a fire road, hit a washboard section, and it shuts off. And by shutoff I mean power down totally, the only thing that would work we're the headlights. After an hour of trying different things it fires back up and I drive it an hour home without a hitch.

Over the next couple of weeks the same issue. Runs great then dies out of the blue or just won't start. And when it dies ALL power is lost except to the headlights.

I have not yet replaced the fusible links but I had the battery checked. Load tested well but needed a charge. So I charged it at the shop, I went to put it back in tonight. When I turned the key everything came on like it should, went to start it and then everything died. Unhooked battery and hooked back up after a bit, now no gauges or power comes on but I hear a beeping (not as loud as one if you have lights on and door open) and when I turn the key to on I hear a very faint clicking but very fast clicking.

So, since this last thing happened I just don't know where to go...

I'm fairly stumped with this and would like to get my Pathy back up and running. If any of you have guidance or ideas, please let me know!

Sounds like it's definitely needing a new battery, you can try checking the water level inside each cell and see if there's enough water in it. I suspect fried cells. Same thing happened to mine, tried charging the battery and it wasn't long until it died again. Usually after one charge up on a nearly dead battery you'll find the battery won't last long.

Thanks for the response.

So, to be clear, the clicking I hear after the battery charge was extremely faint (not the usual clicking I hear with a low batt) and at the same time the gauges didn't come on with their usual start up warnings.

I have no problem replacing the battery if it needs to be replaced. I'll try to jump it and see if we have got any game with that. If we do, I'll go grab a new battery.

Could the battery have been causing these other weird no start/no power/dying issues? Or should I order replacement fusible links too?

Went to start it. Everything came on, turned the key and everything powered down and alarm started going wild. Pulled the seat and unplugged alarm. Hooked up to jump it, it took a bit, but it started and ran like normal.

Going to grab a new battery after dinner and see where that goes.

With the previous issue with only the headlights on, could that be a battery issue or a fusible link issue?

My bet is on loose/corroded connections at the battery. I'd be surprised if the fuse links were the problem, given that it's intermittent. If cleaning/retightening the connections doesn't do it, have the battery load tested before assuming it's the problem.

I ended up having to redo the whole shebang at the battery. Corrosion and vibration from a poor design (everything just hanging off the battery post) did the connections in. Hitting bumps or turning created issues.