Crackling/Popping sound

94 Pathy

Hey everyone, just throwing this one out there....I'll probably end up taking the Pathy to a shop & have it looked over, but here we go...

Drove it home a few weeks ago. Once again, sluggish and stalling. Hard to start & keep running. Pump the gas pedal for fuel, & bogged down when applying gas. Finally got it home. So, did a little research on the site. Checked the MAF, coolant sensor and the sensor next to it. Fuel filter is good. Have had plugs, cap, rotar, distributor, fuel pump, plugs, wires replaced. I started it up after cleaning and looking over the sensors. Got it running and idling fine. I suddenly heard a crackling/popping sound come from the header area....not too sure? Sounds like an electrical connection sparking. I didn't see any sparking, but don't want to take the chance of an electrical fire or something on that order.

Any thoughts & ideas would be appreciated. Gives me something to look at and also let the garage know.

I'm about at wits end with this & the wife isn't happy with me putting more money into it.

Thanks again for your input.

Sounds more like a couple of problems that you may have. As for the popping and cracklings noises, I'd check for an exhaust leak. It also sounds like you may have a timing issue. I had a similar problem with mine a couple of weeks ago and it turned out that it had jumped time. About 60 degrees off. What's the mileage on your pathy, year, and the last time the timing belt was changed? A bit of background on the truck always helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have the capability of checking the timing? Oh, I fought tooth and nail to keep mine from going to the scrap heap. I almost gave up a few times, but, obviously didn't. This forum will help ALOT!! If nothing else but to give you insight into the "quirks" these things have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it's a '94 with 245,000 miles. I know the timing belt hasn't been replaced or an issue for the last few years. I could see the exhaust issue...

My honest opinion now on Pace Setter headers....JUNK! I cleaned them really good, painted them with the highest temp paint there is, wrapped them & they look like they are about to rust out. Installed them little over two years ago. Loved the sound & power at first.

I'll see if I can get the timing checked. Was going to call a buddy that has a shop & have him look everything over. Might even have him do the tranny swap out of my parts Pathy. New tranny sitting in it.

Thanks for your input.

I see you've replace your ignition system components. I remember on my first pathfinder, it had the same issue. Massive loss in power, stalling, bogging, poor fuel economy. My ignition wires were actually arcing to the valve cover. My buddy got a good zap when he found that one out by mistake. You've replaced your wires, so I dont know if this is the issue, but maybe have a once over of the system. Wear some rubber gloves :P

Hey everyone, just throwing this one out there....I'll probably end up taking the Pathy to a shop & have it looked over, but here we go...

Drove it home a few weeks ago. Once again, sluggish and stalling. Hard to start & keep running. Pump the gas pedal for fuel, & bogged down when applying gas. Finally got it home. So, did a little research on the site. Checked the MAF, coolant sensor and the sensor next to it. Fuel filter is good. Have had plugs, cap, rotar, distributor, fuel pump, plugs, wires replaced. I started it up after cleaning and looking over the sensors. Got it running and idling fine. I suddenly heard a crackling/popping sound come from the header area....not too sure? Sounds like an electrical connection sparking. I didn't see any sparking, but don't want to take the chance of an electrical fire or something on that order.

Any thoughts & ideas would be appreciated. Gives me something to look at and also let the garage know.

I'm about at wits end with this & the wife isn't happy with me putting more money into it.

Thanks again for your input.

This sounds like the classis symptoms of a bad distributor.

Distributor, cap, rotor, wires, & plugs were all replaced at the same time. About two-three years ago. Everything looks good. Timing belt even looks good.

Well, think I found the issue....loose alternator. I was checking the belts & the alternator belt had LOTS of give/play, so I loosened the alternator bolts & tightened everything. Seems to be running lots better. Keeping my fingers crossed. Going to drive it to work this weekend & see how it does. There wasn't any crackling or popping either. If this works, I've learned something new about what all the alternator can effect.

I'm still planning on taking it to my buddy's shop & have him look everything over. Want to make sure I'm not having to put a bunch of money into it soon. Wanting to get a Titan & then have Pathy for off-roading/spare vehicle only.