Front Strut Replacement

jmol50

At my last oil change the shop said I had a shot front strut that needs to be replaced. Their quote was $842. I priced the struts and mounts/bearings/boots at $194 on RockAuto. Just wanted to confirm I was getting the right stuff. This is a Pathfinder that only goes "off road" to go camping on BLM land here in Colorado. Nothing crazy.

FrontStrutEstimate_zps0d5e2be8.pngRockAutoFrontStrutSupplies_zps21f7f319.p

• Like 1

Bahhh that's a rip off, I got a set of KYB fronts for like $120, bought OEM mounts, and bearings for a fair price and installed then all myself. The rears are even easier. Just get some quality parts and you'll be set!

-Kyle

Very good :)

I ordered the parts from RockAuto and will get it done next weekend. I spent the extra $5 each to get KYBs instead of Monroe.

Happy 4th to you Kyle!

Ya man, I rented a spring compressor and did the job on my front street, with hand tools, and a few beers.

just remember to put everything back together as you took it apart and torque things to spec. It might help if you've got a friend to help when re-installing the struts and lining up the bolts.

there are a few good vids on youtube.

• 2 months later...

Very good :)

I ordered the parts from RockAuto and will get it done next weekend. I spent the extra $5 each to get KYBs instead of Monroe.

Happy 4th to you Kyle!

I am NOT all that handy...yet....but I need to replace my front struts also.....was wondering if you got that done and how it went?

I am NOT all that handy...yet....but I need to replace my front struts also.....was wondering if you got that done and how it went?

If you're like me when you were needing some suspension replaced, go down to your local parts store, pick up a Hanes or a Chilton manual, and go through their wall through on how to change the struts, they have plenty of pictures and may help ease whatever stresses that you may have. It did for me.

-Kyle

Replacing the front struts is quite easy with the appropriate basic hand tools. If you have another vehicle available, after you remove your old ones you can even take the old and new to most big-chain repair shops (pep boys, mavis, sts, firestone, discount tire) and for a small fee they'll swap the springs to the new struts for you. Using a spring compressor can be a bit unnerving for a novice (and potentially dangerous) but certainly can be done, just be careful, take your time and follow instructions. Oh, and no matter what, you'll need an alignment when you're done.

There has been negative reviews regarding the KYB strut bearings. I just replaced mine last weekend with factory Nissan strut bearings. I rented spring compressors from Orielly auto parts as the one's I have didn't look beefy enough to compress the AC lift springs.

If you are unsure of your mechanical ability, then as folks here has mentioned, get a shop manual and learn how to remove the strut assembly (not difficult to do). Then take the assembly to a repair/suspension shop to disassemble and reassemble with new parts. This would be your cheapest alternative.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If you have another vehicle available, after you remove your old ones you can even take the old and new to most big-chain repair shops (pep boys, mavis, sts, firestone, discount tire) and for a small fee they'll swap the springs to the new struts for you. Using a spring compressor can be a bit unnerving for a novice (and potentially dangerous) but certainly can be done, just be careful, take your time and follow instructions. Oh, and no matter what, you'll need an alignment when you're done.

That's almost exactly what I did. I took it to a repair shop and they disassembled and reassembled for a small fee. I can't remember what it was exactly without digging up my receipt folder. I'm not super handy, but I make up for it with good old-fashioned research (FSM, Chilton's/Hayne's, YouTube, etc). I'm also learning that it's ok to make mistakes, especially if you're just using hand tools LOL. The spring compressor, however, that thing frightens the snot out of me.

That's almost exactly what I did. I took it to a repair shop and they disassembled and reassembled for a small fee. I can't remember what it was exactly without digging up my receipt folder. I'm not super handy, but I make up for it with good old-fashioned research (FSM, Chilton's/Hayne's, YouTube, etc). I'm also learning that it's ok to make mistakes, especially if you're just using hand tools LOL. The spring compressor, however, that thing frightens the snot out of me.

Nice work!! Glad you got it,

But that is the ideal way to do it, especially if your inexperienced. Doing my shocks was the first time i have done it, and i was like you, they are very scary indeed and can do real damage on high load springs.

-Kyle

I was going to get a local shop to do mine, but got the quote and it was around $400 for labor/shop fees (front and back). Being the super thrifty person that I am, I decided to risk my life and do the job myself, haha. It actually wasn't bad. Removing the struts took a bit of time - it's kind of a tight fit. I went to a shop that let me use their strut machine for like $10 bucks. It's very rewarding to be able to do the job yourself, plus you save a ton of cash - It helped fund my new tires! I would suggest doing the rears as well, if you haven't already. It took me about 30 minutes to do the rear because you don't even have to remvove the wheels.

Edited by ONe21

• 3 weeks later...

YouTube has been one of my best friends while working on my pathy (as long as you can find the relative vid). It's not always exact but it gives you a place to start. When I did my lift I used 3 spring compressors to minimise the risk of the spring "jumping out" and borrowed a mates snap-on cordless rattle gun as it had plenty of torque and control