Winch Mounting Questions

mikestewart395

Next up on my to do list next week is possibly a winch. Now, my question is I seen a mounting plate at HFreight, but it looks like a simple....plate. I'm wondering exactly what mounting it to that would do? I have scoured the net today about mounting winches on bumpers but it didn't help much. I don't have a few hundred bucks to dump on a winch bumper. Heck, it took me a few months just to coffee can enough for the winch. I considered using a cradle and installing a front receiver and using the winch front or back. I like that idea because usually I stick the nose in a bad idea first and need to come out in reverse. Now, googling for a front receiver mount for an 88 Pathfinder............Need lots of advice on this one. Key thing here is I can dig up an extra 50 or so to get a mounting plate, but my family budget won't allow more than that.

Well, it sounds like you'll have to make do with the winch on a plate an using it in back for the time being, there is no way you are going to get a front receiver set up for under $50. The materials would cost that much even if you did all the work. Make sure to check that the winch plate is rated for your winch capacity!

Remember, when having the winch in back, you need some heavy duty cables to get to the battery, and I highly recommend a tree saver and a few D rings to start with.

B

You could probably weld something up using the tow hook bolts, Like B said The steel stock would eat up the $50 and if you had to have someone weld it up for you it would add much more money to the project.

Cables going from the front of the truck to the back would probably cost as much as just putting a 2nd battery in the trunk for the winch. However I would definitely want a non-spillable battery back there if I did that.

Also the rear hitch winch mount is going to cost something as well unless you can weld one up yourself. assuming you already have a tow hitch. If not you will have that cost too.

Edited by msavides

Harbor Freight sell a cradle for $50. It is rated @ 9k

http://www.harborfreight.com/hitch-receiver-mount-for-winches-69106.html

I think it is time to invest in that welder now. As for stock, most of that will be free. A lot of construction going on around the clock in Tampa. Piles and piles of scrap to be had. I would just need to buy the piece the receiver would slide into. I need to rebuild my rear bumper also. Hmm, seems I answered my own question.

Yea good old harbor freight. I have yet to buy something like this from harbor freight that I did not have to strengthen, Yes Invest in that welder. I am sure it will work for a little while but sooner or later it will show it's weakness. That is where the welder will come in.

I have the basic dimensions for the lower mount , but not upper and lower mounts yet. Soon...

As for FH, some of their stuff is ok, but better safe than sorry. 18,000 lbs is a lot of force, and what is your winch rated at?

B