ABS light, On again Off again? worse than a high school prom date!

bushnut

ever since I got my truck back from the dealership, the ABS light comes on randomly. It'll stay on after I've started it first thing in the morning, then half way to work it turns off. or turns on half way to work then when I get there, and I shut her down then re-start...no ABS light. what gives man?

I haven't done the flash test yet but I figure some connection is bad. also I figure front pads need changing but thats just routine. was gonna do it some time this summer anyway.

Huh, well that might be worth a shot, because if the system is functioning yet a light is on, it could mean it's a different problem than a tweaked sensor haha.

the light went off again, so I've kinda been ignoring it. next week I'm having the exhaust system replaced, then I plan on doing front brakes and rotors.

Crawled underneath and didn't notice any dripping fluid or broken sensor wires so I'm not sure whats up...brakes pedal feel is fine.

Sounds like your loosing a speed sensor, or got some junk on a sensor. Just for giggles, have you checked the brake fluid level? that should bring the red BRAKE light on, but it never hurts to look.

Hello! I think my ABS modulator is going out...it stays on most of the time but if you turn the truck off, it stays on. What's your best guess as to what to do please? Thanks!

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

ever since I got my truck back from the dealership, the ABS light comes on randomly. It'll stay on after I've started it first thing in the morning, then half way to work it turns off. or turns on half way to work then when I get there, and I shut her down then re-start...no ABS light. what gives man?

I haven't done the flash test yet but I figure some connection is bad. also I figure front pads need changing but thats just routine. was gonna do it some time this summer anyway.

PArt of the 14 page TSB they did on your truck required messing with the front ABS sensors. They may not be reconnected to the harness 100% or they could have been removed/installed incorrectly possbily damaging them.

OR it is just coincidence and one of them is going out.

forgot to update this thread.

crawled underneath and "jiggled" the wires and checked the connections.. nothing seemed to be out of place. the light has been off ever since. If it had stayed on I would have brought it back and complained. I printed out the TSB and left it on the passenger seat. I don't like going in to a dealership without all the facts.

as of now no light and pedal seems fine, I haven't had need to slam on the brakes but I really should give it a try....If it doesn't engage the anti lock system..Is that a bad thing. I learned to drive with out it.

sounds like you've got a short somewhere.

Is it throwing a code?

have you checked the service manual?

have you unplugged the battery let everything reset and tried again?

are the brakes dragging?

checked fluid levels.

any leaks, maybe a seized piston?

I'd go at it one component at a time.

• 4 weeks later...

well after a few weeks with no issues, the dam light is on again after I replaced both ball joints...I must have pulled a wire during the job now I have to figure out which on or make a trip to the JK and find some used ones......