Roof rack crossbars

Ndillon14

No, it is either 1999.5+ or 2001+ (post facelift or the VQ35 motor change) that the design changes and they are not cross compatable. They look different, and can not be easily removed when the locking screw is loosened (probably anti-theft reasons). I know, I tried... :D

1996-1999.0 should be identical, so see if you can get a picture of it, side view of the mount and screw should tell you if it is the same...

B

As far I as I know, the first gets had a thumb wheel that was parallel to the ground used for securing the bar to rails. The updated model, they turn the wheel 90 degrees and made them a little taller.

I don't think one is more stronger over the other.

-Kyle

Not to worried about the strength of the different bars just if the ones in the picture above from a '99 will fit on my '96, but thanks for the info.

It looked like it to me when I measured it (within 1/8-1/4 inch), but I could not get the crossbar to release without destroying it (and it was getting late and hot) so I suspect there is a difference in the mounting tabs. I can't swear on it, but when I tried to liberate one intact to try, I was foiled.

Those aren't the same. See how they are symmetrical? See how the 'old' style are not?

109-Copy_zpsd7f649cc.jpg

Again, not saying that they can't fit as it does seem close, but I couldn't get one off without damage to find out... :shrug:

B