Quick question about CB Mount

NIssanBoston

I recently got a cb radio as a gift from my wife, and i was wanting to mount the antenna to my tire carrier, i heard firestik was a good brand and i came across this bundle deal,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-4-Firestik-II-CB-Radio-Antenna-kit-2-4-FT-FSII-18-CoPhase-Mounts-/390537267045?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Antennas&hash=item5aedd5c765

I was wondering if that would work to mount it on my tire carrier those mounts that are included in the package deal, i'd only want to use one antenna for now but would that be possible? With the way those mounts look?

Thanks everyone

You shouldn't use two antenna's to begin with, the truck is no where near wide enough, the antenna's should be about 8-9 feet apart.

Co-phased antenna's are usually designed for semi truck applications, when two antenna's are mounted side by side like on the mirrors of a semi. the reception/transmit pattern becomes more directional towards the front and rear, because truckers are concerned with what's happening in front and behind them, so this works out perfect, an antenna mounted in the rear left, makes the CB more directional towards the front right, always the opposite from where the antenna is installed.

For best overall reception/transmit pattern an antenna installed in the center of the vehicle would be best. For trail use or close range you would be fine having it on the tire carrier.

I know you said about only using one for now, That antenna wire is a "co phase" wire, meaning one end at the radio split to two antenna's, it would not be good at all to only use one antenna and leave the other end empty, it will screw up the SWR reading (standing wave radio).

Look for a similar deal with one antenna, Firestick are decent antenna's , for best results or for everyday use the antenna should be 2/3's above the top of the body, for trail use you will be fine with a shorter antenna but your range will suffer.

Only thing against the Firestick or other fiberglass whip antenna's is with out a spring installed between the antenna and the mount the antenna is not flexible much and will break if you hit something with it. Adding a spring will change the SWR reading so if you use a Firestick or other similar antenna make sure it is adjustable to tune it.

And remember a crap radio with a crap antenna is crap, a crap radio with a good antenna is better, a good radio with a good radio would be best, in other words never skimp on the antenna.

Edited by ahardb0dy

Yeah , I'll have to do more looking around for some better antennas, yeah pretty much id only use it for trail use and basically for convoys , I only want 1 antenna but now that you told me that I'm going to search around a bit more for a better setup for me, what about those mounts would they work and attach to the carrier? Just so id have an idea what mount id be trying to aim for