Compression Numbers VG30E

xylicon

Finally got around to doing a compression test on the VG30E. It just rolled over 200k miles, all original except for a couple timing belts.

Cylinder #1 - 182
Cylinder #2 - 165
Cylinder #3 - 180
Cylinder #4 - 165
Cylinder #5 - 172
Cylinder #6 - 192

Vaccum test was rock steady at 20 inches

I know the FSM calls for no more than 14 PSI variations between cylinders. I'm not all too worried about my variations as the truck runs smooth and has plenty of power.

Another thing, is there a special trick to the #6 spark plug, that thing took me way to long to remove and install.

I wouldn't complain about those numbers from a motor with 200k on it! :aok:

As for the #6 plug, if you don't have the factory tool, use a spark plug socket (with the rubber keeper inside), a 6" extension a ratchet, a marker and an inspection mirror. With either one, my proceedure is the same.

Remove the spark plug boot, and look with the mirror. Put the socket and extension in place on the spark plug and draw a line on the firewall from the top of the extension upward for about an inch or two at the same angle of the extension. Put the ratchet on the extension (handle in your left hand) and remove the spark plug. Put the new spark plug into the socket with extension only and put the end into the hole by watching in the mirror. Then align the extension to the mark you previously make and spin it with your fingers, starting the threads. You'll feel when it is right...

Snug it with the ratchet and give it another quarter turn or so to flatten the crush washer and you are done.

A couple of tricks: When you remove the old plug, stop 1/2 way, remove the socket and look with the mirror/blow the well out with compressed air and extension to clear any debris so it won't fall into the cylinder. Before you put the new plug in check the gap and put a little anti-sieze on the threads to make sure it doesn't sieze in the aluminum heads.

B

Thanks for the tips, I used a vacuum with with a long skinny attachment to clean out the area around the plug holes as they were quite dirty. Compressed air seems like it would work better, next time I will try that.