Is this the spiral cable? 2001

Hey guys, so I was in the junkyard today and came across a 2001-2004 pathfinder, the dash was all picked clean, steering wheel gone, but this thing was on the seat. I believe it could be the spiral cable?

x5nocz.jpg

It spins and has those 2 connection you can see in the pic and a big yellow connector on the back which Id imagine is airbag. My cable has been broken forever and cruise control / air bag / hord has not worked. Would this fix it?

i cant find anything in the FSM about installing it or removing the old one, proper setup etc. Any help appreicated

You didn't look hard enough, nice thing about the newer FSM's, they let you click on the links and the appropriate section will open (usually) if not the link will at least tell you what section to look in, in this case, looking at the 2001.5 FSM in the EL (Electrical) section, links over to the RS (Restraint) section for removal instructions, so to make it a little easy for you link below, page 19, (start on page 17 for airbag removal procedure):

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Pathfinder/2001.5_Pathfinder/rs.pdf

Your Welcome ! LOL

Edited by ahardb0dy

Yes, it's the spiral cable. Don't spin it! I spun to many times, the cable will break. It's not hard to do. Disconnect the battery, removed the two plugs(if they are there) on the back of the steering wheel. They hold on the airbag mount bolts which may be a 10mm bolt, or a tamper proof torx bolt. Once you have both bolts removed lift the airbag out and disconnect the clips. Place the airbag away from you, outside the vehicle, with he bag pointed up. Then, remove the nut holding the steering wheel on. If you leave the nut on a thread or two, you can then pull the wheel back hand. Just rock it back and forth at the 9&3 positions. Remove the column covers and you will see the screws holding the spiral cable on.

Damnit I definetely spun the unit in my hand atleast a few rotations, how can you tell if it is broken?

i didnt feel any resistance, but that isnt to say it wasnt already broken when i got it from the junkyard