Frontier Starting Issue

djratlif

20120724202747_zps4adda158.jpg

Pre-Engine Swap/post deer accident

20120830080206_zps00b52463.jpg

After the long winter of replacing the engine and repairing all of the damage

I'll start off with a little background information about the truck. 2000 Frontier, KA24DE, 2WD, Regular cab, Manual transmission. I've had the truck since 2007 with 140k miles on the clock, now its had the engine replaced 5-10k miles ago and has ~225k on the truck. Since I changed the engine it was starting fine and having no troubles for the first few weeks, then after some more miles were put on it the starter would not work. Hit the switch and nothing, no click, no crank, just the lights on the dash dimming slightly. Pop started the little thing and brought it home to charge the battery hoping it was that. Still nothing with a full battery.

I've tested the clutch interlock switch, the ignition switch, and battery. I am wondering if there is an ignition relay somewhere to be tested or anything else I am missing before I pop off the starter to test it. Hoping some of you are like me and collect Nissan trucks with a little more experience in repair. Any help is appreciated, Thanks, Derek

Wow, nice work!

Sorry, I probably can't help much as I don't know those trucks/motors, but I'll hit a few basics...

The lights dimming means that it is trying to supply voltage to the starter. The two things I'd check are all of your ground connections between body/chassis/motor and battery, and what voltage is at the battery when you try to crank it?

There are a few professional mechanics here, hopefully one of them will chime in with experience...

B

Oh, it looks like you can get a service manual here, that might be of help as well.

http://diyservicemanuals.com/nissan-frontier-service-repair-manuals/

• Like 1

replace the starter, next time it doesn't start, have someone turn the key to "start" and hold the key there, and gently tap on the starter, if it starts, it's the starter, don't bother with any reman starters unless you like to replace it a lot, either buy a brand new aftermarket or OEM starter.

Edited by ahardb0dy

I tapped the starter already while my brother held the key to the start position and nothing still. Had to do it on the pathfinder several times before and had it work. I am thinking the solenoid may be stuck on the starter although I'll have to jump it to be sure. Just thought maybe a relay was in the circuit somewhere. Thanks for the help guys

Can you have someone turn the key to start and check for power at the solenoid wire?

Does your truck have the theft deterrent system?

Here is the wiring schematic if you don't have it already:

21ooilv.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Jumped the solenoid with a screwdriver and the help of a buddy. Sprang to life again like the day I bought it. Next replaced the starter with a Napa re-manufactured unit as it was the best price, and so far so good again. Now it looks like I have a broken wire somewhere between the MAP Sensor and ECU or between the Barometric pressure switch/solenoid valve and ECU. It never ends......

Thanks for the help with the diagrams and tips/hints guys

Derek