Headers & Exhaust for more power?

enkrypt3d

As far as more hp goes, not sure if just an exhaust system will work. I have aftermarket exhaust from headers to tailpipe (highflow to reduce restrictions). It's loud, and it has a little more horsepower, but I still have trouble rolling up those hills. I'm not sure where you live, but if you're in high-altitude, there's not much you can do - short of forced induction/tuning/engine swap. Exhaust WILL get you more hps, but I don't think it'll be enough.

You can tune it to have a richer mixture (richer mixture = a little more hp). That being said, richer mixture will cause your cat to go out a little faster, and potentially not being able to pass emissions (higher HC's and CO's from unburnt fuel). Maybe if you tuned it and a new exhaust system you could get enough hps? :unsure:

Well im hoping this exhaust isn't too harsh or annoying and just gives it some more torque... the new MAF sensor didn't really seem to make much difference though. The timing was done with the new distributor cap / rotor / plugs and wires...... after all that was done it was running very strong and it just recently started sputtering and has less power.

Ok so i got the headers..... and noticed that the bung for the o2 sensor is hanging off of only one of the runners. which means the ECU will only be able to monitor the o2 from one cylinder. I've seen this cause problems before on my NSX (which is OBD II)... would this cause a problem for the 95 pathy? is it OBD II or I?

I can't recall the exact model #s for the Magnaflow I used, but there were two. One direct bolt in and one universal weld in; I went with the bolt. The info is here for the searching, but the other trick it to look them up. If it doesn't say 'CARB certified', it isn't going to fly and if it says 49 states and/or will not ship to Ca, well, that's not going to fly either. ;)

B

What cats should I run and not have to worry about passing ca smog?

I actually ordered my CARB compliant Magnaflow cat and Gibson muffler from JC Whitney. Im with B on this one, I got the flanged one too.

No, mine is a Magnaflow. It is also a full flow cat, unlike these that are OEM replacements. Let me see if I can find the one I bought... I am pretty sure this is it. I have to back up on what I said earlier though, the muffler guy welded the old flange onto my cat so it is bolt on now. I remember not wanting to pay the extra cash for the "direct fit" one....

http://www.jcwhitney.com/magnaflow-california-legal-semi-universal-catalytic-converters/p3089531.jcwx?filterid=d1685y1991g26j1

Edited by SkiBumBrian

No, mine is a Magnaflow. It is also a full flow cat, unlike these that are OEM replacements. Let me see if I can find the one I bought... I am pretty sure this is it. I have to back up on what I said earlier though, the muffler guy welded the old flange onto my cat so it is bolt on now. I remember not wanting to pay the extra cash for the "direct fit" one....

http://www.jcwhitney.com/magnaflow-california-legal-semi-universal-catalytic-converters/p3089531.jcwx?filterid=d1685y1991g26j1

Saw that you have the same setup as I do... did you have to do any welding to get your gibson exhaust to connect to the muffler? also I see where the Y pipe is on the thorley headers that it needs weldin too is that right?

The 2" is the only one I could find that was CARB legal, I really don't see a need to go bigger anyway. Too large an exhaust just pushes your torque curve higher in the RPM range..

The Gibson muffler was a weld in. After I busted every knuckle and nerve I have wrestling the headers on, I just bolted it to the stock setup and took it to a muffler shop and spent 175.00 for him to bend everything and weld it all. He did a superb job.

At the crossover a lot of guys just goop it up with some copper based silicone. I took a band clamp with some fireproof wrap and sealed it that way, it doesn't leak. At least so far.

Saw that you have the same setup as I do... did you have to do any welding to get your gibson exhaust to connect to the muffler? also I see where the Y pipe is on the thorley headers that it needs weldin too is that right?

If you weld it, it'll be a problem if you ever need to remove it. I used some Permatex copper RTV and a Walker lap joint band clamp that was a perfect fit. I'll look up the part number tomorrow.

And yes, while you might be able to fudge it, 2" diameter is the only CARB legal fitment for your vehicle.

B

If you weld it, it'll be a problem if you ever need to remove it. I used some Permatex copper RTV and a Walker lap joint band clamp that was a perfect fit. I'll look up the part number tomorrow.

And yes, while you might be able to fudge it, 2" diameter is the only CARB legal fitment for your vehicle.

B

Well I dont have a choice but to have the exhaust welded to the muffler... I was hoping it had flanges... Or I guess I could have them add some?

One piece sleeves into the other. You put the small end of the clamp first on the small pipe, then you install the the 2 pieces of pipe, sleeving the small one into the large one. When you have everything bolted up and torqued, put some of the Permatex Copper RTV around the small pipe, right at the joint about 1" wide, do the same for the larger pipe, slide the clamp in place over both of them and tighten it up.

B

Oh, almost forgot...

Walker Mega-clamp #33230

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-33230

Edited by Precise1

Hey guys on the doug thorley headers, does the OEM EGR pipe connect to these aftermarket headers? or is there some sort of an adapter? Just wondering as the place where the pipe connects doesn't appear to be on the same place as the OEM manifolds...