Meanwhile in Indonesia...

PerlNinja

Dude I was like..uh, engine's facing the wrong direction...and then I looked down at the tire and rim and breathed a sigh of relief. Nice work but how did you keep the gas from eating though the bottle? That was some strong bottle, heh you put an iv drip on your carb that's great. What's the deal with all the carburetion on Indonesian cars anyway? Can you get fuel injection as an option? There must be independent techs with their shops set up to do the conversion for a nice little fee huh?

I moved a motor home about 30 miles using a similar method. The fuel tank was shot and fuel pump bad (it was during cleanup after Hurricane Katrina) so we pulled open the engine cover and had one guy dripping gasoline from a 5 gallon container directly into the carb. Talk about a fire hazard.

Wasn't my ride guys, this came chugging in an hour or so after I got there, engine was hot, and the bottle was already busy starting to get melty in some spots. No idea how the guy figured it'd be a good idea to drive 50km(!) with this setup in highway traffic.

Dude I was like..uh, engine's facing the wrong direction...and then I looked down at the tire and rim and breathed a sigh of relief. Nice work but how did you keep the gas from eating though the bottle? That was some strong bottle, heh you put an iv drip on your carb that's great. What's the deal with all the carburetion on Indonesian cars anyway? Can you get fuel injection as an option? There must be independent techs with their shops set up to do the conversion for a nice little fee huh?

I asked the guy because I was a bit "oh jebus christ what the hell" and he said he just put the gas in the bottle and insh'allah it wouldn't go kaboom. So I guess he did enough praying recently because he's still there, in one piece :D

Carburation on cars in Indonesia; two simple answers, I think. First, there is no such thing as an MOT or yearly inspection, which means that as long as a car moves, it's kept on the road. When it stops moving, it's jury-rigged to move once more. You can see 30 year old cars here that are still in use as daily drivers. There is no such thing as a junkyard because any car that falls over and really kicks the bucket is immediately stripped down (imagine a piranha devouring something) and the pieces used to get another car running again. There are of course a lot of more modern cars out and about and they all have fuel injection, but the older cars basically come with carburators. Leads up to second: carburators are cheaper than fuel injection and can be maintained much more easily by ... well... a yokel with a big effing hammer. Most mechanics here have no formal education, they learned the trade from their parents/uncles/etc. and that's how it's passed down here - so a lot of the time, there'll be a single guy out of 15 mechanics who happens to know how to deal with fuel injection issues, because the others never learned and have no time (or inclination) to learn.

Umm, yeah, bit of a rambly answer but hey... been in the car all day.

There's no shops that do conversions from carburated to fuel injected, but there's plenty that'll do a conversion to LPG or bio diesel. I'd convert to LPG in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the fact that there are only 5 LPG-enabled fuel stations in Jakarta, and none outside, which makes it somewhat useless because you'd have to switch back to petrol after a while anyway.

• Like 1

Wow, that is pretty interesting and sounds like a lot of vehicular fun..I mean you guys have the worlds BEST excuse to randomly screw with your cars, it's a gear heads wet dream and no one's running around saying, "Hey stupid! Why you driving that old car?" Man..I'm so sick of people thinking that whatever is newest and most expensive must be better.

All I ever wanted was to have a garaged collection of all the coolest Japanese sports cars and 4x4 trucks from the 70s and 80s. 13Bs and 4TZE and VG30 oh my! I never knew Indonesia would be so interesting and recycling old car parts like that. So are you a national or ex-pat or what?

I've spent a little time in the Philippines as I'm married to a Filipina and they are pretty fly with their cars too, lots of recycled jeeps running around in a zillion different configurations but not like what you see here in the states...completely different...I'll try to find some pics. If my wife and I ever move there I might get to have a motorcycle again, they're everywhere over there but they're small cc compared to the murder missiles we have over here but in that place, 250 cc two stroke is hot stuff man, very fast.

Edited by gv280z

Here we go, only one I could find but it gives you an idea how creative they get with their transportation. They're version of the family hauler suv crossover is a Jeep with an extra long extended chassis (seriously it's like a bus), 4 cyl diesel engine, granny gears and tons of chrome and religious artwork and family names all over the front and sides. Pretty wild.

Phils173_zps48675086.jpg

Wow, that is pretty interesting and sounds like a lot of vehicular fun..I mean you guys have the worlds BEST excuse to randomly screw with your cars, it's a gear heads wet dream and no one's running around saying, "Hey stupid! Why you driving that old car?" Man..I'm so sick of people thinking that whatever is newest and most expensive must be better.

All I ever wanted was to have a garaged collection of all the coolest Japanese sports cars and 4x4 trucks from the 70s and 80s. 13Bs and 4TZE and VG30 oh my! I never knew Indonesia would be so interesting and recycling old car parts like that. So are you a national or ex-pat or what?

I've spent a little time in the Philippines as I'm married to a Filipina and they are pretty fly with their cars too, lots of recycled jeeps running around in a zillion different configurations but not like what you see here in the states...completely different...I'll try to find some pics. If my wife and I ever move there I might get to have a motorcycle again, they're everywhere over there but they're small cc compared to the murder missiles we have over here but in that place, 250 cc two stroke is hot stuff man, very fast.

It's like the Phillipines in that regard yeah, if it runs, it's used. When it stops running, it's made to run again. When it finally dies for good, it's scavenged and re-used. It still freaks me out though, being a foreigner down here, the things that people here do with cars from time to time >.> There's good and bad... the bad generally being what I see most of since well, it's rather obvious :D

They still have Toyota Landcruiser FJ40's here running around as daily drivers, not that hard to find but getting more expensive these days. Trucks etc. from the 70's can be found, 80's a lot, more modern stuff as well but generally not owned by the small fry transport guy. There's still Datsuns on the road here (which should tell you how long it's been).

Love the pic of the Jeepney :D