May be getting a pathfinder

Hey guys looking to get my wife a different ride she's looking at a 05 pathfinder or a 07 xterra.

I've read a few things about 05 needing something with inter cooler. Basically what's the most dependable car and good for her. Thanks

Hi Brandon...they will both need an auxiliary transmission cooler. I had an 05 Xterra and from what I remember there were a few trim lines that came with the auxiliary cooler so double check on that.

Mechanically they are the same truck except for the suspension and interior set up. I suggest you take them both out and see which one she likes better.

Personally, I like the Xterra because its set up more for work and looks better in my opinion. If you plan to steal the truck from her time to time to do some wheeling the Xterra has an Off Road package with locking rear differential and hill decent control.

I wouldn't necessarily say there is a wealth of knowledge here regarding the Xterra, or the newer model Pathfinders. This forum is most knowledgeable of the original 1987-1995 Pathfinder, and the 1996-whatever year the R50 Pathfinder generation ended.

This is an OFF road forum and the newer models generally stick to pavement. They're both essentially the same truck, the Pathfinder is a smidge bigger. If you switch back and forth between the wikipedia pictures really fast, they look like the same vehicle.

The transmission cooler/radiators were mostly for the 05-06 models. If either has the Off-Road package, it will have a extra cooler in front of the radiator. Just bypass the radiator and you should be fine or upgrade, either way. Both are similar, biggest differs is that the pathfinder has a independent rear suspension, where the xterra has a solid rear axle. Depending on the options, xterras came equipped with a locking rear diff and the pathfinder can have Hill Decent Contol. Both are useful offroad.

• Like 1