I need a new motor

Does anyone know of a decent place to buy a replacement VQ35DE motor for my Pathfinder?? Or maybe a quality rebuild kit?? My motor seems to be knocking way to badly these days. So bad in fact I had to start driving my Toyota truck again as a daily driver.

The Pathfinder is a 2002 4X4 with auto tranny and the 3.5 VQ35DE powerplant.

Thanks in advance... Chris

Just check with local wrecking yards. It's a really popular engine, and a popular car, odds are in your favor for somebody having one in your area.

But my vote is also to see what's knocking. You can have heads rebuilt for way less than the cost of a used engine.

-Kyle

• 3 weeks later...

I agree www.car-part.com is an excellent resource for finding parts.

I purchased a Jasper rebuilt long block for a toyota truck years back. I put 80k miles on that engine with no problems until I finally sold the truck. I think Jasper engines still have a good reputation.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update: I went outside today and started the Pathy. Quick turn of the key and it fired right up. There almost no ticking or knocking from the motor today. But I still have a question.

If I were to purchase a used motor would I need to search for a year specific donor? Or will any VQ35de auto motor work? I mean if a 350 chevy needs to be changed out we all know that any other 350 should fit right in. is it the same with my VQ35de ??

Forgive me if that was a stupid question... Still new to Nissans..

Chris