Hello from Victoria BC

charles

Hey everyone,

I got excited about getting a Pathfinder and jumped right into one. 1994, XE, standard, 4WD. It's going to be my moving vehicle and home for a couple months as I move to Whitehorse, YK.

It's got all sorts of little issues, and I'm looking forward to getting it up to tip top shape, hopefully with your help! I thought at first there were only cosmetic issues, as it had only 150,000km. Buuuuut, I found a sticker on the door saying it had the odometer replaced at 160,000... So I'm a little more concerned now about the little noises here and there.

I sorted out the rusty floor (cut out sections and replaced with sheet metal). The main issues I still have to sort out are:

-Cluster (odometer/speedometer, gas gauge, tac, all in various confusing states of not working).

-Grinds going into fourth (4th gear synchro?)

-ticking/flapping sounds coming from I think rear diff (intermittent, but not on acceleration, not with clutch disengaged... maybe a worn gear in there somewhere?).

And then of course a million odds and ends.

I look forward to getting to know some fellow pathfinder owners, and hopefully can contribute my experiences and troubleshoot, as well as getting some help with mine along the way!

Cheers,

Charles.

hello there! im a bc boy too, langley to be exact, and as for the 4th gear grind, most likely the syncro, just double clutch it into gear and itll be good. as for the rear diff, check the fluid out,

Welcome to NPORA Charles!

It sounds like you are pretty handy, so I'll jump right in, but you will get the most mileage out of technical questions/information by posting the main sections and searching, as most things are well covered.

-Cluster (odometer/speedometer, gas gauge, tac, all in various confusing states of not working).

-Grinds going into fourth (4th gear synchro?)

-ticking/flapping sounds coming from I think rear diff (intermittent, but not on acceleration, not with clutch disengaged... maybe a worn gear in there somewhere?).

The cluster is backed by a flexible circuit board of sorts that is mounted with brass screws that also double as ground conductors. Remove the cluster and make sure the screws are tight and corrosion free. It isn't a guarenteed fix, but the best place to start.

There is a TSB to 'overfill' the manual transmission with 5.1 liters of gear oil for proper lubrication (it is in the Garage/TSB section if you wish to read it.). Most people 'overfill' it through the shifter hole.

Use GL-4 ONLY, or equivalent. I recommend the Redline MT-90, it is a bit pricy but works well and will probably handle the lower temps better.

Jack up the rear axle and support it well, then try to get it to make the noise again, first by hand, then under power if need be. A helper will be invaluable for this...

Go to the Garage section, into the pinned thread for the FSM and download your own copy, it will be invaluable to you... ;)

Good luck living in the Pathy, that's not a lot of room! There is a trick to remove the seat bottoms in the rear so when you fold them down you have an extra 4-6" room.

B

Wow, thank you all for the warm welcome!

I certainly will post questions in more relevant forum, I was just throwing down a brief overview of what I'm up to!

I feel a whole bunch better already. I'm happy to double-shift and not worry about the trans, and I'm well on my way to figuring out the noise coming from the rear.

Certainly not a lot of room to live in, but I have a few ideas up my sleeve, and I'll throw down some pics once that gets started. The rear seats are outta there, so that helps!

• 2 weeks later...