Dealership Woes

RowOSU

So I believe my 97 is exhibiting the symptoms of the warped/leaky exhaust manifold. When you first turn it on (cold) and start driving I can hear ticking related to engine speed yet once it's warm it goes away. I also asked for a price estimate on two other things, first was the replacement of the rear control arm bushings as I also have that GREAT wobble at highway speeds and to check my motor mounts as I have had a slight vibration at 1000rpm ever since I had my clutch replaced. They call today and inform me "There is no exhaust leaking at all out of the manifolds however I need to have my clutch replaced and the rear end rebuilt" What the? I argue with the guy for a little bit about how the clutch is indeed fine, I didnt even ask them to look at that, (they didnt check the motor mounts) and then instead of giving me a price quote for rear control arm bushing replacement like I asked for I get that my whole rear end (shocks, springs, control arms, and that panwhatever rod) need to be replaced. Ok I could've believed them until they told me my clutch needed to be replaced. All I wanted was them to do the warranty work on the manifolds. On top of it all they tried to charge me some 100 clutch diagnostic fee. I refused to pay it and left the shop. Anyways my question is does that sound like the manifold or something else? and is there a reccomended shop in or around Columbus Ohio?

THANKS and sorry for the length

I don’t know about the manifold, but you mentioned a ticking sound. Is it more like a pinging sound like you valves maybe? As far as the rear control arms, knowing Nissan they will probably just replace the whole control arm instead of just the bushings. Did you price new control arms at Nissan? If you do it yourself I have heard removing the control arm can be a %$@$# and you might have to cut and replace the bolts. As for bushing I hear AC has polys but good luck in finding someone to press them in for cheep. I don’t look forward to the day I get the wobbles. :dance:

Edited by Trialsin26

No its not a pinging, its definately a ticking. I've seen posts on here before describing that as being a leaky manifold but perhaps it isnt. Im not sure what else it would be though. What about the valves were you thinking it could be? As for Nissan, yes they did just want to replace the control arms as a whole unit for the low low price of $1056. Ugh.