New to the Forum and Front Suspension

yakfish

Hey all!

Just found the forum while searching for solutions this afternoon. I have a 2002 4x4 Pathfinder. I have owned it for about 6 years. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I bought it used with 90K miles on It and it now has 214K miles. It has developed a clunking noise in the front end. I first began to hear it when pulling into parking lots or going over speed bumps at angles about 15k miles ago. Now it has gotten worse and I hear it when merging onto the Interstate. There is a clunking noise and a slight vibration on the steering wheel. I am assuming it is either struts, shocks, maybe bushings or maybe even CV joints. I don't have the cash to replace everything and hope I get the issue fixed. I'm wondering if there is a common issue with these trucks that would be the most likely cause.

After browsing the forum and seeing some of your rides I may not be opposed to a minor lift if I can do it while fixing the problem. You know...two birds with one stone!

Edited by yakfish

Well, it could be a lot of things as well, including wheel bearings, strut tower mount (there is a recall) steering rack bushing, etc. Don't just start replacing things, crawl under it and look for some that is worn, torn, loose or damaged first. ;)

Sorry for the downer, but welcome to NPORA! :D

B

Edited by Precise1
  • Like 1

Yep - don't convince yourself that it'll be a cheap and easy fix. These IFS setups have so many moving parts, but it only takes one worn part to introduce a clunk. Best way to diagnose is to get on your back under the truck, look for perished rubber bushes and have someone swing on the steering wheel like a rabid monkey - try and locate the source of the clunk - and replace that part first. If pain persists, repeat process, ad nauseam.

LOL

Jacking it up so the front tires are in the air, properly supporting it and then pushing, prying, and prodding will often isolate the issue as well. If it moves under your strength, it'll definitely move under driving forces.

B

'Precise'ly......

I'm currently chasing a knock at the moment. I have been trying all these methods, but ironically I think it's the U-joints in the steering column, everything else is tight as a drum. Frustrating.

what we've all learned here is to start looking the moment we hear an unusual sound coming from our trucks. Don't leave it until it gets worse. Nothing EVER fixes itself. By locating a problem early we can save money by isolating the problem before it makes a bigger one. remember the story of one small drip in a dam.

after re-reading this i sound like a jerk. sorry. but take it as a lesson learned. 15k miles is way to long to finally get around to figuring out what that "noise" is. hope you figure out what the issue is and that you can deal with it yourself. a few proper tools, a good schematic and a little bit of stubbornness can go along way. good luck .

• Like 1

what we've all learned here is to start looking the moment we hear an unusual sound coming from our trucks. Don't leave it until it gets worse. Nothing EVER fixes itself. By locating a problem early we can save money by isolating the problem before it makes a bigger one. remember the story of one small drip in a dam.

after re-reading this i sound like a jerk. sorry. but take it as a lesson learned. 15k miles is way to long to finally get around to figuring out what that "noise" is. hope you figure out what the issue is and that you can deal with it yourself. a few proper tools, a good schematic and a little bit of stubbornness can go along way. good luck .

You are absolutely right! I am a procrastinator. Lol! You think 15K is bad...I've had the swinging muffler for 50k. Its been too cold and I've had a driveway full of ice or snow or else I would have checked it out before now... No I wouldn't have...

I'll get under there tonight if I get off work early enough. We're supposed to get another 12+ inches of snow starting tomorrow night. Hopefully I can get to it before the storm hits.

Seems like it was indeed the sway bar end links on both sides. everything else seems tight. Now I just need to find the parts.

Thanks