New Driver Seat?

Flanker7

I have found that the head space of my 2006 pathfinder seems lower than those of other SUV's (i.e. Tahoe, etc.). I find that when getting into the vehicle I have to really bend my neck down to get in. I'm of average height 6 feet. but even when sitting in the driver seat, it seems as though there is not much clearance between the top of my head and the ceiling of the interior. Is there a way to lower the seat (it is original that came with the vehicle), or is it possible to purchase one that can be adjusted to sit somewhat lower? If so, any suggestions?

I would say evaluate if you actually need the seat to be lower. Sometimes it's just preference, but unless you have a big pompadour or something and your head touches the ceiling, then i don't see an issue if it's close. I'd say take it off road, and see if your head bounces on the ceiling, if it does, then definitely revisit your question.

Possible ideas:

You could perhaps look and see what the mechanism on upper level R51s did? As in, if it had electric seats, did it adjust up and down? And if yes, then how so?

If you're willing, I imagine you could take some padding out of the seat? Or figure out a way to cut the rails of the seat itself. Of course both of these are labor intensive.

Sorry if I'm not much help, but figured you at least deserved a response. These are the only things I can think of.

Edited by Karmann

• 1 month later...

I actually have the same challenge. Although I'm only moderately tall (6'2"), I'm very long torso'ed. When I sit in my LE V8, equipped with power seats, even when the seats are at their lowest setting, I'm unable to close the sunroof shade, as my head extends into the space.

I would love to be able to lower the seat further, but absent changing the seat, there appear to be few options.

I am at a loss to think of any........

there are wires and gears under the seat so you dont have much room to play there dropping it down somehow, and the passenger cushion has the occupancy sensor in it so you cant mess with that cushion at all.

Cutting off the bottom half of the driver cushion would be a lot of work, I am not sure if you could reattach the cover then and have it still be tight, but you might gain an inch there.

Try talking to a local reputable auto upholstery shop, see if they have any experience/ideas with this.