Manual tranny fluid level

madhakish

I've read the TSB, but it just seems to imply the fill hole doesn't allow for a proper refill volume. My drain plug is seized so a drain and fill is out without significant work and I am beginning to hear the dreaded whine..

Am I to understand that the transmission is not filled to all 5L from the factory (and none ever were?), and that one can and should fill the remaining 2L via the shifter opening regardless?

If so is there any harm in adding new fluid to a stock fill that's been run for 225k miles given it's the proper yellow-metal friendly type? I've got 5L of redline in the garage but can't drain what's inside out.. :(

Edited by madhakish

I'd take it somewhere that has an impact to remove the drain plug. As far as adding fresh fluid to old fluid it should be okay. Just make sure it's the proper GL number because I know the newer stuff will eat the bronze.

I'd take it somewhere that has an impact to remove the drain plug. As far as adding fresh fluid to old fluid it should be okay. Just make sure it's the proper GL number because I know the newer stuff will eat the bronze.

I've hit it with both air and electric impact guns using the 13mm attachment, as well as a 4' breaker propped up w/ a floor jack to keep it in the socket. I couldn't get it so i took it to my mechanic who also couldn't get it to budge. Maybe I'll hit it with a torch when it finally warms up enough to stay outside for more than 20 minutes..

Got the right GL, redline M/T something safe for bronze synchros etc.. Will top it off for now until I can get it loose.

Well that was worth while! I've always felt like the transmission felt "loose".. Too much vibration, too loud, etc. Hard to explain, but it just felt odd. Added 2L of Redline M/T and took her out for a test drive and it feels soooo much smoother at speed. It feels "full". As if everything is moving in fluid vs. not. Bearing "whine" is noticeably reduced but not gone. Overall at 2500-5500 rpm things just feel more solid. Very hard to explain, definitely have to feel it to understand..