Retooling door keys after replacement of ignition key lock assembly

MrEviLDeD

Hello again, :)

I was wondering what the process was on keying the door locks to match the new Ignition key that comes with a new Ignition key lock assembly? Do I need to take the Pathfinder into someone to rekey the lock or is this something I can do on my own once I have the new key?

Sorry for the silly question.

Matthew

You can have a locksmith do it, no idea what they will charge, or you can do it yourself, it's not that hard but you will need to buy new chrome face caps ( the part you see on the outside of the door the key goes in), for each lock (except the glove box lock). When I re-keyed all my locks I bought the new face caps from a local locksmith and they charged me $5 each just for the cap. I also had to grab extra locks from junkyard trucks, take them apart to get extra wafers that I needed, clean everything, figure out the new order of the wafers to match my ignition key, re-assemble and re-install each lock in each door.

It's a lot of work if you want to do all the locks, ( 2 doors, rear door, glovevbox), you may want to call a locksmith to see what they would charge to do the locks, they are fairly easy to remove to bring them in to the locksmith.

Or price the full set from the dealer as Inyourface did above.

If you want to re-key them your self see the link below, it's where I learned how to do it, with a few difference's, I use a tiny channel lock pliers to remove the chrome face cap, don't bother trying to save them, it's almost impossible to re-install it with out a crimping tool, the caps I bought from the locksmith are a universal ( for each Nissan lock), that instead of crimping the cap all the way around the lock body, the universal one's only have 4 tabs you have to bend over, much easier and almost hard to tell from the outside of the door that they are not original.

Link:

http://beergarage.com/PathRekey.aspx

this is what the replacement face caps look like, you can see two of the four tabs, these come in different sizes, I always take a lock to my local locksmith and they give me the right part, you can also see the online place won't sell them to anyone,

http://www.michaelhyde.com/Nissan-Trunk-30mm-118-inch-diameter-ASP-Lock-Face-Cap-P16215-P-16-215-10-pack_p_2986.html

Edited by ahardb0dy
  • Like 1

I rekeyed my sentra so it matched my parhfinder ignition, previous owner

Before my buddy must have replaced the ignition and that was the only key I had, had a locksmith make me a key for the door locks, than I rekeyed all the locks to match the ignition,

So one key works in both vehicles.

Yea sounds like the best idea is to just take the locks in and have a locksmith do it. Ended up finding a much broader problem with my Pathfinder so this will have to take a back seat now.. I appreciate the response though. I know now that I just do not have time to fiddle with it and to let someone skilled do it :)

Thank you!