I bought my Maxima Alt. today, ? about pully wheel

mikestewart395

I went to autozone this morning before work and got my Pathy a Maxima Alt. Luckily the guy changed the pulley wheel for me. The only thing is when I spin it I noticed the back part of the pulley is a little off center. Is this something I should be concerned about? I want to install it tonight after work, but I'm not going to put it on if it is going to be a problem.

Back side?

Set it down where it is stable, spin the pulley and look through the V groove. If you see much movement in the position of the V then it is either off center and/or not tangent perpendicular to the shaft.

Was the locating diameter and mounting surface the same with the V pulley as opposed to the other?

B

Edited by Precise1
  • Like 1

Yes it is the back side. It was hard to get it centered, as the first time the front wobbled a little. We took the nut off and redid it. The front is smooth now but the back side of the pulley has a slight movement when I spin it, like it isn't 100% centered in the shaft. i swear one day I am going to get a photobucket account. Second thought I should have video'ed it. I hate not having spare time.

Yes, what part wasn't captive? The ID on the pulley should match the OD of the shaft, centering and positioning it. I'd be skeptical if the nut was just holding it in position.

Can you judge how much movement there is?

B

When we pulled the original wheel off it is 3 parts, 2 halves and a spacer. The wheel sets on the spacer, and the wheel only has a small area to move. Hard to explain. It fits the armature but it can wiggle side to side on the arm. a small fraction. If we didnt line it up right when we tightened the bolt down you can see it is off center a little bit when we spin it by hand. If I wasn't at work I would shoot a video of it

When I did the alt, swap I used a one piece pulley, but I swapped in the 110 amp alt from a Villager (quest) and had to grind the lip off the front case of the alt.

The Maxima alt you are using is the 90 amp that should swap right in I believe. The 87-88 alt's should use the external fan and look like this :

34ry7n9.jpg

and this should be what the Maxima 90 amp looks like, is this the one you got?

1zbfcqp.jpg

If you went from the style of the first pic to the style of the second pic, the problem may be that there is a gap when using the old 2 piece pulley on the newer alt because the newer one does not use the external fan.

You may need to get a one piece pulley.

Edited by ahardb0dy

Yes, that's the exact alt. I got this morning. So I need to to go back to the parts store in the morning and order a 1 piece pulley. Hopefully I can find one this weekend. I need to get it back on the road by monday morning.

Sometimes you can get one from an auto electric company, when I bought my alt from junk yard for my sentra, I took it to a shop that rebuilds them looking for a 4 groove pulley ( the alt had a 6 groove on it), the guy swapped the pulley with another 6 groove, he didn't have a 4 groove pulley and told me it was OK as the belt will ride in only the grooves it needs too, no problems since with it, but he didn't like how the edge of the pulley looked so he replaced it for me, also had him put it on their tester, charged me like $20 I think.

Either the back part is bent or the hole is too big for the shaft, if you put the rear half in front does the front ( now in the rear) still move the same way? When you put just the rear half on the shaft, is there play between the hole and the shaft? I would still get the one piece pulley, And that nut doesn't look like it's on very much.

Thanks for the video, pics and or video always helps

^Pretty much what he said.

Yeah, that doesn't look good, way too much run out....

We will have to go back into the alternator swap thread and make sure the info about the split pulley is in there.

Is there a junk yard or something you can grab a 1 piece pulley from?

B

Junkyards are about an hour drive away. I'm going to stop at the Parts store on the way home tonight and order one.

The pulley isn't bent, it just wasn't centered when the guy Impact hammered it. I will play with it tonight and see how much play was in it, just for future reference.

if the pulley has room to move on the shaft so that it can be not centered, than the hole is too big for the shaft. If you can check to see if there is play with the half of the pulley on the shaft, that would be good info for people who may do the swap in the future. thanks.

I tried to order a one piece pulley, but no one had one or couldn't order one. After 2 hours of driving back and forth I just bought a direct replacement. Turns out the Maxima alt was defected anyway, so maybe I dodged a bullet there. I had to get my Pathy back on the road today so I couldn't wait any longer. I deff. will upgrade in the future, when I have time to do it.

I believe only the external fan alternators used the 2 piece pulley, as I was just trying to remember where I got the pulley for mine when I swapped in the Quest alternator, after looking it up on Rockauto I noticed the alternators for the 94 already has the one piece pulley, so if your ever near a junkyard you could get the pulley from a newer pathfinder or hardbody or check in an auto electric store they should have them.