Looking for an SUV

thE_iyE

I need an SUV that's stylish, 4-door, gets good gas milage, and is capable of light off-roading/snow. Cue Pathfinder. What I also want is one that goes fast because, well, just because, right?
Well, I have in my possession an eaton m90 supercharger. These things are great because they spool at low RPMs meaning early power and they provide a ton of torque (sounds like the best thing ever for a 4x4 vehicle, right? I thought so, too). The specific one I have is from a Ford Thunderbird, so this was initially designed to sit on-top of the motor, but be remote-mounted in that the air travels a bit first, goes through an FMIC and then hits the intake plenum before the heads. What I'd like to know is if anyone that has experience with these things thinks it's possible to remote-mount this in the engine of the VG33. I know the VG33ER uses a positive displacement blower like the m90 (maybe even the exact same one), so how hard would it be to get my hands on one of those in Utah, if my current blower doesn't work? I'm a big fan of Nissan, but I'd go for another SUV (other than the Exploder) if it meant more ease in making ~300hp @crank with a positive displacement blower.

210 hp with 246 ft lbs of torque. Torque is what you want. :)

Also, 1996-1999 pathfinders came with a vg33. As well as the earlier 6cyl frontiers.

Edited by Kyle94

According to the father of all lies, wikipedia, the earlier pathfinders came with a vg30. I only ask specifically for the newer ones because it may be easier to swap in the upper of a vg33er, meaning less fabrication. When you're sitting at 200, it's not too hard to make the leap to 300, particularly when that mark is at the crank, not the wheels. I don't know if there's many power enthusiasts, but I imagine porting, overdrive, a better water/air IC, bigger cam and maybe a more free-flowing exhaust it would be rather easy... but I take it there's not a lot of people with experience in supercharging here, or am I wrong?

1986.5-1989 pathfinders had a TBI VG30e, 1990-1995 had a MPFI vg30e, 1996-1999 had a MPFI vg33e.

Yes specifiying at the crank does help, but with only 210 at the wheels... i'm not sure it would lose that much HP from the crank to the wheels. Sure you can hop up the intake and install and overdrive pulley. BUt the biggest parts are injectors and the s/c itself.

Edited by Kyle94

I dunno how many of the supercharger optioned trucks are out there, and though there's been a lot of talk about using them on WD21s I've only seen pics of one done up. The factory superchargers were only available for Xterras and Frontiers with the 3.3. Only way to find out is to call around to local yards, and hope they don't know what they're worth if they've got them; I've heard they go for a lot on eBay. On the plus side it would be almost bolt-on, unlike plumbing in your Ford blower.

You could in theory bolt the VG33ER charger right onto a VG30 but I remember hearing that the throttle body requires a little modification to accept the VG30's throttle position sensor. But why put a supercharger on a VG30 if you can get the whole VG33ER?

You might check out Mr. 510's VG34 build. He bored out a VG33 for his, and even naturally aspirated/auto trans he said it would do burnouts.