Ye Old Squeeky Belt Question

mikestewart395

what wheel are you referring too? Does the noise seem like it's from under the hood? Does it make the noise when driving or will it make the noise if you raise the RPM's to 2500 sitting still? If the noise is under the hood, you can try spraying some water on the belt (s) to see if the noise stops. Do you have AC? Is it hooked up? Possibly the bearing in the idler pulley for the AC is shot.

Do any of the belts look glazed? How old are they? Sometimes a belt sitting to low in the pulley can cause a squeal.

Need more info to try and assist you, thanks.

Edited by ahardb0dy

• 2 weeks later...

I seen the alt. belt was a little slack.I tightened it this morning, the reving the engine, squeek at 2500 again. I applied belt dressing and now it is a total constant hum, but no squeek. It could be the tensioner, that seems to be the most common on most vehicles. It is just strange that it is RPM specific. I can hold it at 2400 and no noise, 2500 squeeeeeeeeeeeekkk

Edited by mikestewart395

• 4 weeks later...

An update on this, I replaced my Alternator last weekend and I noticed today the noise stopped. I was late for work so I was speed racer today, shifting at 3k plus and noticed my belts don't scream at 2500 anymore. Maybe it was a bad bearing in the old Alt.? I'm glad the noise is gone.

• Like 1