Need help diagnosis a noise in Pathy.

Stifun

My Pathy run's fine and no check engine lights but every time I start it I hear a high pitched noise.

I had my friend who knows about car's take a look at it and he thinks its the small pulley next to the A/C Compresssor has bad bearings and it why its making the noise.

What do you guy's think.

Is it a squeal from a belt or a whine that changes somewhat with RPM? Yes, the idler bearings do go bad (it is the tensioner) and they aren't hard to replace. Once nice thing to have is a mechanic's stethescope, it really helps isolate noises and can be bought extremely cheaply.

B

Just bought the idler pulley will try and change it this weekend is it pretty straight forward or is there any special instructions or tools needed.

Thanks

sometimes a belt that is sitting too far down in a pulley will make noise too, so make sure the belts are the correct ones, if the noise does not go away after replacing the pulley.

You can also spray plain old water on the belt or pulley to see if the noise goes away.

Thanks everyone this Forum makes owning my Classic Pathfinder so so enjoyable as I learn so much from everyone.

I am happy to report that the problem is fixed it was the Pulley and my engine bay is so silent now thanks for all the advice and Help.