rear bushing problems?

bushnut

So the last few days since hunting I've been having a "clacking" sound coming out of the rear end whenever I go over certain size bumps. Its been cold so I thought maybe a frozen shock but they are brand new bilstein 5150s. I've gone over all the loose items in the trunk and removed them. and still the sound continues.

This evening I checked all the torques on my wheels and shocks all good.

However when I rock the drivers side rear wheel. I can rock the axle forward and back. and the drive shaft rocks up and down. This can't be good? I can't remember if it did this before.

The sound feels like it's coming out of the left rear side but I can't be sure.

I can see a little movement in the passenger side lower control arm bushing but thats about it.

should i replace the bushings or the whole Control arm?

If it's indeed the control arm bushings, I believe you can grab them and wiggle them (upper and lower) to confirm, especially if the bushings are that worn out to be causing a clack.

As for replacing just the bushings vs new/rebuilt control arms... I'd vote new bushings, though new bushings will require work on your part to remove old bushings, and depending on how easy it is to replace the arm with new bushing's back into place.

I say bushings only because of The potential performance return compared to the standard rubber bushing (the 4x4parts.com split bushings are polyurethane).

As I priced it, there doesn't seem to be any money savings either way. Replacing the escrow control arm, of course, is easier in regards to labor.

Sent from the Nexus4

Edited by Qx4donald

I had my upper and lower bushings replaced with the split ones from 4x4parts .

The guy who did them charged me $150.00 but cussed me out a bit..... :lol:

He said he chiseled out the old ones with the metal sleeve

The new ones go in easy according to him .

I couldn't move either the uppers or lowers by hand , but I had noises , swaying , and axle movement front to rear on braking and acceleration .

Either would cause an audible clunk .

After doing the AC lift with new shocks and struts I drove the truck for a week before the bushings were done , and the difference after the new bushings is incredible .

If it's indeed the control arm bushings, I believe you can grab them and wiggle them (upper and lower) to confirm, especially if the bushings are that worn out to be causing a clack. As for replacing just the bushings vs new/rebuilt control arms... I'd vote new bushings, though new bushings will require work on your part to remove old bushings, and depending on how easy it is to replace the arm with new bushing's back into place. I say bushings only because of The potential performance return compared to the standard rubber bushing (the 4x4parts.com split bushings are polyurethane). As I priced it, there doesn't seem to be any money savings either way. Replacing the escrow control arm, of course, is easier in regards to labor. Sent from the Nexus4

sorry... I said Control Arm... I meant to say "Trailing Arm" bushings.

The control arms are at the front. The trailing arms consist of the pair of lower ("bigger") arms and a pair of upper ("smaller") arms.

I'd assume OP meant trailing arms as well (fyi to others: trailing arms are also known as "lateral links" - upper and lower, or "radius arms", again distinguishing upper and lower)

I couldn't find the bushings you referred to at AutoPartsWay.ca. However, if they are $16.87/each... and assuming they mean 1-single bushing, you'd need a total of 8 to replace all 4 arms.

8 x $17 ($17 just to make things easier) = $136.

So, yes, that's cheaper than the ~$185 split-design cost from 4x4parts.com... and I'm now realizing you're from Canada, so shipping may be a bit hefty to ship internationally - I'm not certain about the cost. To ship to me (in California), the cost is $25.

IMO - you can never really tell which "Polyurethane" product is better quality than the other. There aren't too many people that purposefully go out and test/experiment with multiple polyurethane suspension products, and especially for Pathfinder/Qx4 vehicles (this is my opinion of course).

Obviously you can rely on others' experiences... but it looks like most here on NPORA purchase from 4x4parts.com

good luck.