Front/Rear Camera Install

So, I was watching them on Amazon and they finally went on sale, so I splurged.

I've had this idea since having my baja bug....you come up a ridge and you don't know what's on the other side, so you get out and look. With a camera up front, you can just look at the camera for an initial judgement. If it looks hairy then you can get out and doublecheck.

Pics.

The monitor clips on to the rear view mirror.

20131101_112147_zps90a33fb0.jpg

I'm figuring out where to connect the power....and running video wires...they're run inside the headliner and down the pass side A-pillar.

20131101_112730_zps0c91570a.jpg

Rear camera is the typical 'bolt to the license plate' kind. I need to figure out power in the lift gate to connect also. I also want to get tamper proof bolts.

20131101_112135_zps2f2b1d82.jpg

Front camera mounted under the winch.

20131101_124033_zps67085391.jpg

• Like 1

You should use clear silicone on the camera at all the seams, screw holes, etc. Even if it claims it's waterproof, it's probably not.

You can use a T-tap to get ignition switched power from the 12v wire at the ODBII port. Ground can be found at the hood opener too, at one of the bolts, just connect a ring/eyelet terminal to the end of the wire. The green wire should be connected to the reverse circuit somehow I believe, maybe one of the reverse lights?

Not sure where to obtain power for the backup camera. There might be something you can use in the driver's side quarter panel behind the trim, maybe the wiper relay or tap into the audio amp relay 12v ignition switched wire (if you have the amp of course). Not sure about the front camera either.

Edited by Towncivilian

The front can reach the battery, so I will put it on a switch. My plan is to be able to switch between the 2 cameras at will, so I won't be hooking up the reverse circuit. Not sure if I'll have to splice that to 12V as well. I'll be doing my homework this week.

I will silicone or liquid electrical tape the camera joints. Thanks for the tip.

For reference.

Monitor:

http://www.amazon.com/Inch-Widescreen-Resolution-Automobile-Selecting/dp/B005I7UQ4K/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Front camera

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CTKYB4/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rear camera

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049LBJ56/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice little write up & a great idea. This is something I thought about doing some time ago after I got stuck swaying on the top of a drop off & didn't know what was in front of me because the hood was so high up. Luckily there was another vehicle that guided me down. I have an aux video input on my in dash dvd player, now you've got me thinking about hooking up a front camera to it! :aok:

How do you switch between cameras?

That's a great idea! And actually not too $$$, should help off road. In my case, that would be really handy in parallel parking, as my rear hitch sticks pretty far out, and I'm always worried about harpooning whoever I'm backing up towards. :laugh:

• Like 1

How do you switch between cameras?

The monitor accepts 2 video inputs.

I had a Halloween party on Saturday night and my kiddos the rest of the weekend, so no progress. I will be looking at the wiring this week and hopefully have everything functioning next weekend. I also plan to add the fusebox since I already have the glovebox off...not much room back there.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

And yes...I know that rotating the camera won't work...I drank a few beers while installing.

Not sure if there is a way to permanently reverse the video for the front camera or if I will have to live with it being backward.....? I'm guessing it's in the screens software, so I will probably have to live with remembering to reverse the front camera.

• 3 weeks later...

So, after the front camera died on my first trip out....I did some research.

You have to buy a camera that is specifically designed for front camera usage, or the video will be mirrored.

Just ordered this one as a replacement. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004V9G8QQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1