Looking to buy a 1997-2000, any opinions on durability of each year?

suzeq

My 1998 Chilkoot has been good to us , but is ready to call it quits. I need a new one stat. Trying to find out which year is the most durable for driving a very difficult, steep, bumpy road every day. Esentially, we live on a logging road and needless to say are replacing shocks and dealing with front end issues often. Any pros and cons associated with the years between 1997-2000 would be greatly appreciated.

96-2004 are all the same save for in 2001 the introduced the vq35 3.5L engine. giving more horsepower and torque. suspension and drivetrain remain the same. the 2000+ models got a new looking plastic bumper but thats it.

If you've been having suspension issues first and foremost I'd would counsel you to slow down. nothing will kill your suspension faster than hitting things at speed.

Second, when replacing parts get the best ones you can afford, stay away from Canadian tire type products. Aftermarket, premium quality shocks /struts and springs will not only work better they will last longer. you always get what you pay for.

as far as durability between years, I believe that has to do entirely with the PO attention to maintenance.

so far I'm very happy with my 2000, just did an 8000km trip to the east coast. for a 13yr old truck it does just what I ask of it. and any money I put into it is worth it because it's mine.( no bank loan).

• Like 1

Actually 2001+ have a weaker rear LSD (significantly less breakaway torque), and 2003-2004 has an even weaker LSD than 2001-2002. If you get an open diff 96-2004 are all probably the same.

2001+ has a RE4R01A-HD (heavy duty) transmission which is beefier to back the VQ35DE.

But other than that there are no differences between 96-00 more or less.

Edited by Towncivilian
  • Like 1

I would try and find a manual trans, VQ. From what i've seen they are somewhat hard to come by, but totally worth it!

VQ parts are plentiful and despite my history of nagging on them(i'm jealous, ill admit it!), they are fairly reliable when taking care.

-Kyle

It is facelifted and looks like 2000-2004 model years, but otherwise is the same mechanically as 1996-2000. If you get a 1999.5, just order parts for a 2000 to reduce confusion; parts stores, etc will be like "THERE AIN'T NO 1999.5". Though if you order parts from a dealer, you usually provide the VIN so they won't have any trouble.

Edited by Towncivilian
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I have a 96, and so far, its pretty bullet proof as a daily driver with mild off road use. It really just depends on how well its been taken care of. only thing ive had to do to mine so far is a clutch, and battery in 5yrs. Has 190k miles on it.