z24i front cover removal

I've got an 87 Pathfinder with a z24i engine. I need to de-tension the timing chain tensioner. To get to it, I have to take off the front cover.

My Clymer/Chilton manual says I have to remove the oil pan to get the front cover off. It also says to remove the oil pan, I have to remove the front differential.

Please tell me there's an easier way.

I didn't when I changed my timing chain. I removed the front bolts that go through the pan to the front cover and slid it off, then RTVd a new gasket and slid it back on. Luckily with these you don't absolutely have to drop the pan as the oil pump pickup tube doesn't drop down like every Nissan engine from the KA to now.

I agree with Kingman, I see no reason to do all of that, I think those manuals cut n paste a lot of sections to CYA.

FUN FACT:

the Z24i in the Hardbody had a rubber oil pan gasket the first year then changed to a liquid gasket. The pathfidner with a z24i had a liquid gasket the whole production run.

Mine, an '84 720, had a rubber gasket. So I cut the gasket flush with the block and then RTVd. Wonder why they changed it up... Maybe because in 4/'87 they started using RTV only on almost all models? :shrug:

So the front cover bolts are off, the front 6 or so bolts are also off the front side of the oil pan.

I tappws the front cover at various locations with a 1"x1" wood piece and a claw hammer and. . .nothing happens.

The picture at http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?ModelName=Pathfinder&ModelYear=1987&ModelSeries=WD21&FileType=277&SelectConditions=%282%3dZ24I%3b3%3dDX%3b4%3dMT.F5%3b5%3d4WD%3b6%3d2D%3b7%3dFED%3b%29&ShowConditions=%282%3dZ24I%3b7%3dFED%3b%29&seeDesc=False&goBack=True&SectionNo=A&ComponentsNo=135 makes it seem like I did not to even take the front oil pan bolts off.

This afternoon I sprayed pb-blaster around the front cover seal area.

Any hints?

BTW, my 87 has probably never had this cover off before.