Problematic Pathy

Easy104

They are probably crapped up from all the misfiring. I'd clear the code and drive the car to see if they burn off a bit once heated a few times, then see if the code keeps coming back. I've never heard of a cat cleaner, so the only other option would be to replace it (them) and that would be pricey...

B

• 3 months later...

Ok, soo my check engine light keeps coming on and off and the catalytic converter efficiency bank 1 is what it is saying. but this last week it came on and i got it checked and it was random misfire. Could my cat be causing this or is this another bigger problem. It feels like it is really underpowered but that could be just me, its my first car. My MPG's are at around 12.5.

If the cat's good and clogged up I guess it could be making it misfire (and it would certainly cut power and fuel economy). 12.5 on a stock rig ain't normal. My money's on the ignition though... check the same stuff you checked last time, see if anything's loose or if the wires are arcing to something they shouldn't be.

If you have a cylinder misfiring, it is dumping raw fuel or rich exhaust into the exhaust, which could foul your cat on that side. Bank 1 is the passenger side IIRC so it is easy to get to. Check the resistance of the injectors cold and then hot, check the wiring loom for any issues, check the plug wires and their condition and routing (wires shouldn't cross or lay against metal), then pull the spark plugs and take a look of them, keeping them labled as to which cylinder; they could tell you something as well.

B

• 3 months later...

Well now there is something wrong with my turn signals.... Small issue yes, annoying issue.. Also yes. But it keeps blowing the turn signal fuse and yesterday I used the hazards to tell people that I was trying to turn and those blew too. If I put a new turn signal fuse it will work once or twice and blow again. Any ideas?

Sounds like your turn signals are shorted somewhere. Any collision damage in the truck's history? I'd say check the bulbs, but it sounds like it blows in either direction, so that's not likely it. Maybe there's a problem with the flasher unit?

I dont think any severe collisions have happened, there was scrapes all down the right side fender flares and bumpers and a dent in the rear passenger side door. What im thinking is that because i went into the mountains, it was mostly washboard dirt road and it may have shook something loose. Also i used the hazards once to indicate i was turning and it blew that fuse too.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, looks like i found the problem. Its stupid that i didn't notice it before... The tow hitch receiver turn signal wires had gotten loose and landed on my muffler which melted them together.

Has anyone replaced the whole a/c compresser? I think i am needing a new one and the local shop i went to said it would be around $800 to replace with a new one. :headwall: Is this right?

I don't know about the price quote (never had AC work done). You can do the compressor yourself, but unless you have a vacuum pump and a charge kit you'll need to have someone who does swap out the drier, vacuum the system down, and refill it.

Make sure it's not something simple/electrical first though, when the AC on my friend's van quit it was because the electrical plug for the high pressure switch popped out.

• 2 months later...

I fell like my car doesn't have very much power..... I cant even get the tires to squeal! Is this normal or should I have more power than that?

My SES light is on and it says P0420 Cat efficiency below threshold

Edited by Easy104

The 3.3 is not really a "powerhouse", but if you have a plugged cat it will definitely rob some power, the more clogged it is the less power you'll feel. I would try to see if it looks like the timing belt has ever been done. You won't have anymore worries about power loss if it is original and decides to give up, get the random misfire cured as that is likely contributing to your plugged cat, then either replace the cat or hollow it out.

My '95 always felt a little down on power until I did the vac lines and cleaned the gunk out of the throttle body. That really improved things. It's not enough power to smoke the tires or anything but it sure gets up and goes quicker now. I also cleaned out the EGR at the same time. I don't know which thing made the power increase, but I'm assuming it was the cleaning, since the lines and the EGR weren't that bad.

It's not a bad idea to check the belt in general (kinda kills the motor if it fails), but if it slipped a tooth I think you'd know about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Soo... when i turn my steering wheel all the way either way, i get a very annoying belt squeel and sometimes i cant turn it all the way because it feels like there are bumps in it.. its hard to describe but when i turn it to full lock i can see my tires have like a jolting turn. Is this just the belt slipping and causing this or is it something bigger. Also because of my oil leak (i assume) the boots on the inner tie rods are cracked and split in two parts

hey guys..not trying to high jack this forum ..but need some help.... my 90 pathy has stated to give me a stutter at stop lights,,once in awhile will die ..will idle normal and then start to drop a few hundred rpms then norm the back down..goes up then down ..does this pretty fast..like a stutter..twice now while driving will it stutter fo a sec ..then run fine..any ideas? any and all help would be great..thinking it might be the fuel pressure regulator? but not shure..it will idle all day in park and not nave an issue

Edited by discobandaid01

Usually better to start your own thread.

Check the plugs for the mass air flow meter, throttle position sensor, and coolant temperature sensor. I've had an on again/off again issue with the engine dying at stop signs, and messing with those three always brings it back. One of these times I'll just mess with one of them at a time and see which one's doing it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Can anyone inform me on whether my air conditioning compressor clutch can be replaced? I think the bearings in it are bad because when its engaged i can see it wobbling.

The NISSAN parts diagram shows the clutch as a different part number as the compressor, so it should come off. As for a reliable and affordable replacement, not sure, as the NISSAN part is kinda spendy.

• 1 month later...