Replace Inner Wheel Bearing? Brakes with a Driver Side Axle Replacement Job

mega4ce

Hey All,
Hoping for some input as to what I should do. I am doing a front brake job and see that it is recommended to replace the outer wheel bearings. I at the same time am going to replace my driver axle, as the cv boot had been torn for a while, and it will be easier than replacing the cv boot. My questions are 1) Should I also at this time replace the inner wheel bearings? 2) What is the reasoning behind replacing the outer bearings when doing the brake job?

Some info on the vehicle: 2001.1 4WD Pathfinder. 95k mi. Warn Manual Hubs.

Also recommendations for any of the parts would be appreciated.

So far, I am thinking of EBC Green or Yellow stuff pads, Beck Arnley Bearings.
Still not sure on rotors and axle.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, I think "they" recommend the outers because they take more stress (especially with spacers or rims with less backspacing) and they are a bit easier to get to (but not much in my opinion). If they look good, I agree a repack is probably all you really need.

• 2 weeks later...

for the roters i recommend the Raybestos Rotors. I just replced them and works or feels better in braking.

Also I just repacked my bearing and like the other people said, don't waste ur money when you don't need them. Inspect and if its good then just repack. However, I will recommend to change the bearing inner seal. Seen lots of case that the water got in through the seal cause they were old or worned down.

It takes lots of force and use to break the bearings. High quality grease like Vavoline (I use this) will do.

Edited by mrkim_