HELP 96 pathfinder O2 sensor problems!

Javanic

Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum, but I was hoping that someone here could help me. I recently got a 96 pathfinder XE. When fixing it up for certification and emissions testing I came across a P0130 (O2 sensor circuit malfunction bank 1 sensor 1). I also got a knock sensor code, but fixed that first. Once I had the knock sensor changed ( when got to it I found that it was all cracked open and cooked) I changed the O2 sensor.

Once I cleared the code and ran the truck the code came back. After playing around with it for a bit, checking fuses inspecting the wiring harness and all that fun stuff I swapped it out for the old one for good measure and got the same code. I even went as far as to check the resistance of the wires from the sensor to the computer and found no problems.

2 things to note:

1 I did have the entire intake manifold including the plenum off to do the knock sensor ( I checked and didn't find any vaccum leaks

and 2 the replacement O2 sensor I got was NGK not Bosch, not sure if that would really cause this problem but since replacing it I have read to only use Bosch

Any help with this would be very greatly appreciated as I'm banging my head against the wall on this one ( metaphorically speaking of course )

I just had a look through some posts, and I didn't see anything about the grounding problem.. again I'm new here LOL! I saw a few threads about some people having some similar problems, but noting that really helps me :( I'm don't know how to properly test for a grounding issue, or how to reflash the PCM..

Any one know how to re flash PCM or anything about the above stated additional grounding harness? I'm stuck :P

I'll add some pics soon, as of now I'm too busy banging my head over here LMAO

I tried to click on the link to open the .pdf so I can see how to make my own harness and it didn't work :hide:

I clicked on the view document in the lower left and it took me here...

http://www.4shared.com/web/preview/doc/22dbAimf

B

Tested, it just worked for me.

Edited by Precise1
  • Like 1

Yeah I was able to get that one open but it didn't have any info on troubleshooting the P0130 code, it seems to be all about testing the MAF circuit. I was trying to get a pdf open in here http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/22480-tsb-ntb99-004b/.

What I'm really interested in is trying to make the grounding harness that grounds the intake to the block. I get the feeling that it has to be grounded in certain places, and if I can get the info I'm sure I can rig something up to try it.

Does anyone know how clearing codes works.. I mean, if I clear the code with my scanner should that be enough? I have read some stuff on here where people are disconnecting the battery for like 12 hours to get the code off the computer.. Is this nessisary after swapping out an O2 sensor?

Sorry, I see now the PDF in the 6th post by ticker.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/22480-tsb-ntb99-004b/?p=416874

Nope, it doesn't open, must not be there anymore. You can try contacting ticker or googling it.

Yes, clearing the codes in a 1996 with the OBD2 scanner is all you need to do. 1995 and earlier use a totally different system which is what the confusion is.

B

That's what I figured, but I thought it better to ask. I did search around the web a bit for that wiring harness.. can't seem to find anything on it really, except a bunch of dead links. I suppose I can just run a couple of wires between the grounding points on the intake and the block.. clear the code and see if that helps my situation at all :doh:

Thats all I did. Was make my own grounding wires. If you want to buy the harness that the TSB calls for, IIRC Nissan charges $90 for it. Otherwise free or less than $10 if you have to buy wire and eyelets.

do you have some kind of diagram as to where to attach the harness? or did you just go with it..