Hello, newb here!

Aegis

Hello everyone, nice to find such a nice and welcoming forum. (As opposed to a certain hatred filled Mustang forum I'll not name...)

I just bought a '94 Red Pathfinder SE back in July and have started doing some work on it. I keep getting led back here on every one of my Google searches so I suppose I might as well sign up if I am going to be spending that much time here! It has power windows and locks, as well as 4WD. I was kind of shocked at the strange configuration of the cup holders and the lack of the power door lock control for the passenger, but everything else about the truck makes up for it I guess. I just threw in some of the ugly old 1980's style window track cup holders and I am good to go really.

As far as problems go, I think there is something wrong with the door locks as they sometimes don't work they way they should sometimes. Once when it was cool out they wouldn't all unlock with the key and sometimes it keeps locking itself back when I unlock the doors.

Also, my check engine light comes on sometimes when I left of the accelerator pedal and coast, but then goes off when I give it gas again. It doesn't seem to really be at a loss for power (other than the norm), but it kind of seems like it should get better fuel mileage than it should. I tried reading the code with the ECU Diagnostic method, but I don't think I am doing it right. There is no toggle switch but only a little screw. When I turn it clockwise it beings flashing and does 2 long flashes, 3 quick flashes, 4 quick flashes, 5 quick flashes, and then 1 long flash. Then when I turn it back counter-clockwise to the normal setting sometimes the check engine light stays off until I turn off the ignition and turn it back on, or sometimes it only does 5 long flashes. Im not sure if it has to do with the check engine light not being on all the time or what.

The only other things I can think of are the missing little vent cover on the cowl at the bottom of the windshield driver's side, and the need for new fasteners for the one on the passenger side. If anyone has one to sell, let me know. All of the nearby junk wrecking scrap yards around here only have gutted Pathfinders/Pickups (or the owners are in jail for running chop shops).

Anyway, I look forward to chatting with you fine folks, and I thank you for taking the time to read my post. I can see why anyone would want to dedicate their self to loving such a fine automobile!

Guest Mrs.Azzo

Hello everyone, nice to find such a nice and welcoming forum. (As opposed to a certain hatred filled Mustang forum I'll not name...)

I just bought a '94 Red Pathfinder SE back in July and have started doing some work on it. I keep getting led back here on every one of my Google searches so I suppose I might as well sign up if I am going to be spending that much time here! It has power windows and locks, as well as 4WD. I was kind of shocked at the strange configuration of the cup holders and the lack of the power door lock control for the passenger, but everything else about the truck makes up for it I guess. I just threw in some of the ugly old 1980's style window track cup holders and I am good to go really.

As far as problems go, I think there is something wrong with the door locks as they sometimes don't work they way they should sometimes. Once when it was cool out they wouldn't all unlock with the key and sometimes it keeps locking itself back when I unlock the doors.

Also, my check engine light comes on sometimes when I left of the accelerator pedal and coast, but then goes off when I give it gas again. It doesn't seem to really be at a loss for power (other than the norm), but it kind of seems like it should get better fuel mileage than it should. I tried reading the code with the ECU Diagnostic method, but I don't think I am doing it right. There is no toggle switch but only a little screw. When I turn it clockwise it beings flashing and does 2 long flashes, 3 quick flashes, 4 quick flashes, 5 quick flashes, and then 1 long flash. Then when I turn it back counter-clockwise to the normal setting sometimes the check engine light stays off until I turn off the ignition and turn it back on, or sometimes it only does 5 long flashes. Im not sure if it has to do with the check engine light not being on all the time or what.

The only other things I can think of are the missing little vent cover on the cowl at the bottom of the windshield driver's side, and the need for new fasteners for the one on the passenger side. If anyone has one to sell, let me know. All of the nearby junk wrecking scrap yards around here only have gutted Pathfinders/Pickups (or the owners are in jail for running chop shops).

Anyway, I look forward to chatting with you fine folks, and I thank you for taking the time to read my post. I can see why anyone would want to dedicate their self to loving such a fine automobile!

Welcome-they are a great group of guys on here.Helpful and fun and at times full of it. :lol:

Hello and welcome to NPORA!

Congrats on your 'new' pathy, I'm glad that you like it. That seems like an odd warning mode, it almost seems vacuum related. Have you inspected the intake and vacuum lines for integrity?

I recommend you read the "How to check your codes" in the Garage/How To section and go into the Garage section and the pinned thread "Factory Service Manual" to download your own free copy. ;)

There are many threads on the door locks, it is a somewhat common problem. I'll let you look up those threads on your own. :beer:

B

Guest Mrs.Azzo

Hello and welcome to NPORA!

Congrats on your 'new' pathy, I'm glad that you like it. That seems like an odd warning mode, it almost seems vacuum related. Have you inspected the intake and vacuum lines for integrity?

I recommend you read the "How to check your codes" in the Garage/How To section and go into the Garage section and the pinned thread "Factory Service Manual" to download your own free copy. ;)

There are many threads on the door locks, it is a somewhat common problem. I'll let you look up those threads on your own. :beer:

B

:welcome: See what I mean,helpful. And nice-most of the time. :lol: C

Edited by Mrs.Azzo

Hey everyone, I am darn sure glad I found such a wonderful group of people. I can't say I will be much help when it comes to fixing cars, but if anyone has any 9-1-1/Fire/EMS questions I would be happy to answer those! Thanks again y'all!

why is it when I see some dumb ass doing something dangerous with their car and I need the po -lice they are never around?

oh and btw welcome!

I'm sure you'll have fun on this site and learn lots.

Pics please.

WELCOME TO NPORA !!!

Post some pics, we like pics.

For the weird power locks check out my thread on the door lock timer here:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/34301-wd21-door-lock-timer/

download the FSM for your 94 as Precise suggested, can be found here:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Pathfinder/1994_Pathfinder/

to check the ECU codes, slide the pass. seat forward, go in through the pass. rear door to access the ECU, turn the key to "ON" but do not start the engine, turn the screw on the ECU fully clockwise, after the red and green LED's blink 3 times, quickly turn the screw fully counter clockwise, than wait for the LED's to start blinking, 5 red, 5 green = code 55 and that means no malfunctions were found, for a complete list of the codes go to the EC section page 37, just type "37" in the box on top where it says "1" and hit enter.

Your 94 is now 19 years old, (mine too I have a 94 SE also), I would suggest replacing all the vacuum lines, do them one at a time so you don't mix any up. Even if the lines appear to look good, they do develop small cracks near the ends and they can leak without you knowing it. Be careful of the small vacuum line at the rear of the intake manifold that goes to the fuel pressure regulator.

Good luck, if you find any codes, search first, probably someone on here already would have found what you may find. if not just start a new topic, the "regulars" are on here everyday and will be glad to assist you.

Do not know if this is near you but for the parts you may need check out these:

http://macon.craigslist.org/ptd/3962016935.html

http://gadsden.craigslist.org/pts/4026245216.html

Edited by ahardb0dy

Since buying it as a birthday present to myself in July, I actually hadn't taken any pictures. :doh:

I decided today since it was raining would be a good day to take it out on the old WMA road and just see how the 4WD works. I made sure to grab the camera and take some pictures of the little adventure. With my dad as my guide (he used to tear up these roads in the 80's), we went out and onto what the locals call Blue Car Body Road. I didn't see any blue cars, but I'm sure it was there before my time.

1185833_10151785355289463_1738292545_n.j

1185756_10151785356009463_34349043_n.jpg

1175757_10151785357154463_793291360_n.jp

The road actually had some very nice view of the little 'mountains' around here.

1239451_10151785358599463_177777752_n.jp

Of course, then we went where there was less of a road and more of a guideline on where it might be best to drive.

1229840_10151785359304463_1093073474_n.j

And here is the Pathfinder. Got a little interesting to drive with it's city-slicker tires.

1235132_10151785359599463_1572199069_n.j

And just because I posted pictures from the rest of the joy ride, here is a nearby subdivision that was never developed. It is about a mile of paved road with trees grown up on each side. I discovered this road one night while responding to a call that there was a brush fire close to a house. Needless to say, I was really creeped out and glad I didn't find anything. I felt like someone/thing was ready to get me.

And thanks for the links and advice everyone. I've already gotten fog lights working and tracked down the problem with my windshield washer squirty thing.

I like your little trip and as you point out, time for some tires! :D

Did it drive well enough besides?

Yeah, that abandoned subdivision would be creepy. Something about habitable areas being totally vacant fires up primal concerns, I suspect. :lol:

B

/>/>

I like your little trip and as you point out, time for some tires! :D

Did it drive well enough besides?

Yeah, that abandoned subdivision would be creepy. Something about habitable areas being totally vacant fires up primal concerns, I suspect. :lol:

B

Yep, other than the rear end sliding out left everytime it broke traction, it was very nice. I have to say, this little truck suprises me more and more everyday. I love how easy it is to work on too. I only wish I had knew so much sooner! Edited by Aegis