Weird coolant leak

arimichael

Like many people, I'm the guy who only lurks and doesn't post until something goes to crap.

My '01 VQ35 has developed a strange coolant leak. It's fairly heavy, but mostly only when running. It seems to be coming from low on the passenger side of motor and I swear it looks like it's coming from the block/ bellhousing seam. I've done due diligence and searched for stuff on this before posting. I've seen mentions of a rear crossover leak, but that's described as a leak that starts high and runs down the motor. Mine looks like its origin is much lower.

And in case anyone's wondering, it's got 202K (!) and never given me a lick of trouble in the 6 years/140K that I've owned it other than a MAF (Maxima MAF FTW!!) and a very very slightly high oil consumption. (The valve cover/ PCV will be done in an attempt to rectify this situation should I have to pull intakes etc. to fix this coolant leak.)

I understand this a common problem on the VG 30. When I did my timing belt and water pump etc.. last fall, the guy at Factory Nissan in TX ~ I think mentioned that there is a coolant pipe with a rubber connecting hose, that runs underneath the intake manifold. That is prone to leak and drive people crazy trying to locate the source. Because it runs under the manifold, it especially hard to locate hence most people ignore it until it turns into a gushing leak.
I would look a little closer at that as a cause.

Maybe the vq has the same problem :shrug:.

Maybe the vq has the same problem :shrug:.

I had a coolant leak almost exactly as you describe. There is a coolant pipe on the passenger side of the engine, about mid-block and kinda tucked under the intake manifold. It was accessible with tools, so it didn't need anything other than tightening of the clamps. Once I did that the problem went away. I would notice coolant on the garage floor, but only after it had been driven, and it didn't get larger if I let the Pathy sit in the garage.

I would try tightening all clamps accessible on any coolant lines and see if that solves it.

• 2 weeks later...