Front left shock collapsed today

DantheMayun

Herd a big smack with a death wobble to follow today scared the @!*% out of me. Long story short I need a new shock, I'm thinking about adding a 3'' lift maybe? Is there any cheap ones you guys know of? I know you can do springs, shocks in back and uca, shocks in front.

Can somebody point me in the right direction?

I use low profile bump stops and Ford bronco 2 shocks with cranked t-bars up front.5.9l v8 jeep grand Cherokee springs in the rear with f250 shocks in back. Truck rides Freaking awesome... tons of flex.3"+ suspension lift

Shocks I bought new,monroe cheap shocks but they have held up great for years and have a really smooth ride. I had to modify the Bushings a bit to get them to fit but it was nothing major...the front just needs a tiny bit ground off the bushing sleeve to fit into the front lower shock mount slot.

For the rear f250 shocks I think I just drilled out the bushing a little wider on one end and the other end bolts up perfectly.

Really wasn't much work at all and its a nice setup for a decent amount more travel and lift than stock.

Years are as follows...(might be a bit off, do some research)

*1988 Ford bronco II front shocks

*energy suspension ultra low profile bump stops

*1993-1999ish jeep grant Cherokee 5.2L or 5.9L FRONT springs are swapped over to the REAR of your pathfinder for 2-3" lift.

*1995 Ford f150 or f250 single rear shock model, I used f250 shocks as I think they are a little stiffer and I think they complement the jeep springs perfectly. I got mine from the junkyard

I got my whole setup for under 200$ and it works for me.

There's a few threads here on how to prepare the coil springs for install, you just cut off the pigtails. If you find a v8 jeep grand Cherokee with the 'upcountry' package the springs will give you even more lift like 3.5" since those jeep had a factory 1" lift

I'm still trying to figure out how a shock going bad would ever cause a wobble. Bouncy and squishy over bumps, yeah but not a wobble. They don't determine ride height and on our Pathfinders they don't locate anything. As long as the shock is still bolted in there's no way for it to collapse either as the torsion bars and coil springs keep the suspension up.

I had bad shaking and a very scary and rough ride when my shock bit it. Was so old i went to check it when I pulled it off, I couldn't even budge the shaft it was frozen in place.and any movement I did get....I could feel sandy debris and rocks in the shock lol. Completely trashed and although it didn't cause a 'wobble' it did cause a 'rough shaking scary nightmare ride' lol

Yeah mine was locked in place, and wouldn't return to centre properly after hitting a bump. It WAS scary as hell. Lol . But yeah that's the only time I've had a scary time with a shock... usually, like you say..just starts bouncing

Idk its sagging and the shock isn't extended. All the other parts look fine.

Nefarious I want to do your setup. Did you have to get that peice that sits in the rear I think its called a tension rod or something? Also were the bushings rubber on the shocks? And your shocks and bump stops were ordered online.. Grand charokee from junkyard right?

Did you check your torsion bar bracket on the lower control arm and adjusters in the rear cross member?

A thwang and sudden sagging/wobbling really sounds like a torsion bar issue. Its the only thing that keeps the suspension up.

Edited by Kingman

With the shock off does it sit level? If not look at torsion bar or brackets like Kingman mentioned. The shock only keeps the suspension from excessive bounce.

I agree, if its sagging down and the shock is compressed then you probably have a torsion bar or torsion bar mount issue. My issue had nothing to do with the vehicle height. Crawl under there and check where the torsion bar mounts join the frame and crossmember. I'd bet there's something awry down there...

Well the shock definatly is toast. I think i might need a new torsion bar. I dont really understand how it works that well the front one ( if there is two) Doesn't really line up. Its coming out of the bushing it seems like I can twist the rubber seal above it ( near the tire) Its not seated in it. Now as for checking the rear I haven't done yet. Something snapped today and its really sagging now. I'm not driving it anymore.

Whooo jeez ok guys. Looks like Ive had total failure of my front suspension. My torsion bar ilsn't set right. ( The bolt that adjust it can be moved around by hand* The shock has had total failure it's literally bent in half. and my lower control arm is snapped at the mount. WTF.

Any ideas as to what caused it all?

Lower control arm bolt snapping, compression rod snapping, splines on the torsion bar mount stripping out, adjuster rusted and broke suddenly unloading the suspension... take some detailed pics of the damage and post them.

Problem is your compression rod snapping. That allowed the lower control arm to twist back, bent the shock, dislodged the torsion bar, and probably ruined the control arm bushing. Dont worry about the sway bar, its probably just the angle of the dangle at the moment. $10 at the parts store and you have new links and bushings for it.

As far as the rest of the damage, you might be hurting pretty bad... first things first though, put it up in the air and find out what point in the torsion bar system is bad now and fix that. Buy a new compression rod and bushings to replace the snapped one. Then take it from there.

Oh nevermind duh haha I misread what you said ok :)

Hmm I'm debating if I want to put anymore money into my truck. It's rusting out pretty bad and the starter is going now this.. Only good thing on it is the engine that I had rebuilt