1996 Brake Lights Stuck on

linewar

Ok, so I just got back from a week vacation where my Pathfinder sat idle for 10 days or so. It started right up and was fine in every respect except that, after making my first drive upon returning, the brake lights (and the high-mount third light) stayed on. I've tried playing with the pedal and inspecting the visible wiring, but am not sure what I'm looking at. As a temporary fix, I just pull the fuse when I stop the vehicle so the battery doesn't drain, but that means if someone is driving behind me, it looks like I am braking all the time. Any ideas?

second the above reply, original bumper looks like a broken life saver candy, new ones from dealer are a greenish color, if you have to order these order extra, the same bumper is used for the cruise control switch on the brake pedal and for the clutch if you have one, good to carry one extra in case you are in the middle of no where and same thing happens.

Huh, I had to replace my cruise control bumper a few weeks ago and I got the same looking black one. I did give the guy an exact part number that FAST pulled up, maybe there has been a revision since? That probably would've showed up for him anyway. Damn thing was like $13 too.

Edited by Towncivilian

When I ordered them they were a neon green color, it's been a while maybe 3 years ago?? It was for my Sentra but they all should be the same, original one was a tan color. The one that broke and I found on the floor of the car.

Edited by ahardb0dy

That's it exactly. I noticed the pieces of a tan rubber disk by the floormat, but had no idea what I was looking at. Does anyone have a pic they could post of the replacement location, since mine is no longer in its location?

If one or both bumpers are missing, cruise doesn't work. The bumper just 'snaps' into place, look at the brake pedal and you'll see two switches and a circular opening where the bumper goes. Hopefully the cruise bumper is still there as a reference point for you.

You mean this right? That would explain why my brake light is always on too when the switch is connected, I was thinking my pedal height was out of adjustment or something.

I went and looked up in the assembly using the diagram from the website that Leo94 provided, and sure enough - one of the brake stoppers is completely gone (that's what was on my floormat) and all but one of the three stoppers in the clutch assembly are gone, and the remaining one is a partial. This may fix both my constantly-on brakelights and my cruise control that has not been working for a year or more.