Pictures of the timing marks 88 vg30i

ezlife

letcamtimingmark.jpg?t=1375411257

rightcamtimingmark.jpg?t=1375411274

I could not get a good picture of the crank mark. Just know that when you are setting it look down at the marks. If you look dead on like I did with a mirror you will be advanced. I only know this because I had the head off.

Edited by ezlife

/>

Count the teeth. Also, napa carries gates timing belts as their house brand and they come with Alignment marks on the belt.

Double check. I've seen them without.

Edited by Trogdor636

Well the last 2 vg33s and 1 vg30 tbelt services I used napa gates belts and they were all marked. I've used gates for years and they last just as well or better than oem.

Definitely double check though, just open the box and make sure the marks are there. It makes things so much more quick and easy.

The belt I used did have the timing marks. Plus I had the advantage of having the heads off when I set TDC. That's why I posted these pictures. I'm confident that these marks acceptable, lol.

They are. Most of the time the gears don't line exactly up to the dimples on the sheetmetal. It throws a lot of people off. They're mainly there to put the cams in the general area, so as long as the marks on the belt line up on the cams and crank while the crank gear dimple is pointing at the notch in the oil pump cover, its set right. Then the tooth count to trust but verify, 40 between the cam gears and 43 from the LH cam gear to the crank gear.

Not having marks on the belt isn't the end of the world either since you can make your own.