Compression #'s

I hate starting new threads when the info is already available but I have searched the forums and Google to no avail.. I just bought a '91 Pathy with a V6. I smogged it the other day and it passed with flying colors, that tells me the engine is fairly healthy, right? (Ilive in California).

The PO let the TB go for 40K past it's recommended change but just got that done. I was wanting to do a compression test but I can't find the info anywhere telling me the PSI numbers. Anybody wanna fill me in?

If my mechanic was correct, mine seems awfully low compared then at the 125 roughly give / take region. My truck runs great though, with 31s I can hit 60 in about 8 seconds I think and mileage is around 16 - 18, haven't had a road trip to calculate long dist. mileage with the new tires yet but I did get 19mpg before the tire swap on hwy trips. I've barely got like 202,000 on my engine and I never see it smoking. Could my mechanic have been wrong?

That seems pretty low, did he do it with the throttle plate wide open? Wet test? Did he crank it long enough? :scratchhead:

If it runs just fine and still gets decent mileage I wouldn't worry about it. :shrug:

• Like 1

I agree with Kingman. The proper way to test compression is with all the plugs out and the throttle held wide open so you have no restrictions at all. As long as they are all even and it runs good, roll it!

James