NorCalNoob

Although I am a member at many other forums, I just picked up a '91 Pathfinder and find that these forums are a wealth of information and guys and gals ready to help and share with others. I look forward to participating in the forum and learn about this new rig (my Nissan D21 was stolen last week). I hear that these Pathfinders are considered the epitomy of 4 wheelers, is this true? How come?

Welcome to NPORA Bud! I'm sorry to hear that your D21 was stolen, that really sucks and I hope you get it back in one piece.

Yep, the pathfinder is a pretty good wheeler stock for several reasons. They are pretty reliable once a few items are addressed, the 5 link rear articulates a lot with the sway bar removed, the rear axle is very strong, LSD is common, the smaller foot print makes it more agile, etc. Take a look around in the Pictures and Videos section and you'll see what I mean...

B

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your D21. I dunno if any rig can claim to be the epitome of 4-wheeling, but these are pretty well suited. The rear end's five-linked, the diffs are hell for stout, and the stock transfer case has decent low range. They're good enough that there's a whole forum devoted to making them better. :)

• Like 1

Yikes. A local. Im in Redding. Was your D21 built at all? Stolen and stripped, or stolen and still not recovered?

No, was just a work truck but they got my tool box, stereo, inverter... The CHP found it on Monday, interior ripped up and graffiti all over. Clutch plate was blown out of it, etc. I just sold it for parts since I had already picked up the Pathfinder. Good to hear you are a local, after I go through a few things (just smogged this morning) like the temp and fuel gauge not working (regulator behind dash, right?) and the timing belt)PO thinks it has been almost 100k since it was done, truck has 154K, you will have to show me some of the wheeling areas. I have a dual sport and know where to go ride but I have done no wheelin since I left Washington. I gonna go take a pic or 2 and post them, It looks pretty nice for a '91, I think!

:welcome:

Always sucks to hear that someone was stolen. :angry:

No, was just a work truck but they got my tool box, stereo, inverter... The CHP found it on Monday, interior ripped up and graffiti all over. Clutch plate was blown out of it, etc. I just sold it for parts since I had already picked up the Pathfinder. Good to hear you are a local, after I go through a few things (just smogged this morning) like the temp and fuel gauge not working (regulator behind dash, right?) and the timing belt)PO thinks it has been almost 100k since it was done, truck has 154K, you will have to show me some of the wheeling areas. I have a dual sport and know where to go ride but I have done no wheelin since I left Washington. I gonna go take a pic or 2 and post them, It looks pretty nice for a '91, I think!

Yea, you know from living here people will steal anything. Regulator is behind the dash, there is a thread around here about it I think. Get that timing belt done ASAP! Your truck is on a 60K timing belt change, the mid 93's to 95 are on a 105K schedule.

If you have a dual sport you've been to the good spots. Few roads I found in a local book I'd like to check out, but its so hot now it just doesn't sound fun. I've just been poking around the OHV park and going up Shasta Bally and around Whiskeytown when its not unbearable.

Doing the belt, water pump, thermostat, and bypass hose on Tuesday. I usually ride the bike so I don't have to drive it until all is done. The distributor sounds like the bearings are going out too so that will be here on Tuesday as well. I like hitting Shasta Bally as soon as they open the gate (on the bike). I wish the gate going down by the Falls is open but they always keep that locked these days, I think because of the youth camp there... Have you tried to get through Lewiston Turnpike? A bit narrow and short at times due to the trees, not sure if a truck can make it through...

The gate to bally has been open lately. The gate past the falls I've never seen open. At this point I've given up on that one. I think the Lewiston one is one I've wanted to hit. My buddy had me out on a road that runs from 299E all the way to Lakehead, we just went as far in as a little dam though, didn't have time to do app of it. Can't think of the name.

They usually open the gate to Shasta Bally in June. I think the Peltier Valley gate is open no too. Trinity Mtn. Road will take you all the way from the far end of Trinity Lake to Dog Creek and beyond. I usually get off and come out on Gilman. If you want you can cross I-5, pick up Fenders Ferry and take it all the way to 299E and come out at Montgomery Creek. Some gates now though that SPI has put in and can only get around them on a bike, other than that you can come down through Sugar Pine....

Fenders Ferry! That's the road. Yea most of Whiskeytown is open. They left Peltier open a couple months ago and I was on some of it at night. Still haven't been on it during the day. A PGE gate was open the same night so ventured off along the power lines.

I've been wanting to hit Peligreen Jeepway out of Red Bluff. But I'll probably wait until late Summer/early fall when temps go down. Found a book at Barnes and Noble with a few decent trails to hit around here. I'm sure having a dual sport you've hit most of them. :P