Chevy Master Cylinder upgrade

The reason I ask, I did hte swap yesterday and have no pressure in any of my lines when I depress the pedal. Not sure ifI'm missing something or what

Bled the MC to no avail. Tried to bleed the lines... Still nothing. Bypassed the abs block dealy and BAM more brakes then I know what to do with!

• Like 1

Do you have the link to the write up or did you wing it? Thought about doing it a while back but didn't have a need to. Now that my MC is bad and I see the GM ones are way cheaper it seems like a good time.

Well so far I cut the little bullet nub off the brake booster shaft adjustment screw. Shimmed the MC out a bit, machined the holes a bit to get them to fit the studs, removed material off the mounting ears themselves, BLED THE MC, found adapters to go from 1/2"-10mm, bypassed the abs block and bled the entire system

Yeah I put an isuzu rodeo Dana 44 with the big mother disc brakes on it. I don't know if the 79-?? had disc brakes. It was just the one I found the most of when looking at the upgrade

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Well so far I cut the little bullet nub off the brake booster shaft adjustment screw. Shimmed the MC out a bit, machined the holes a bit to get them to fit the studs, removed material off the mounting ears themselves, BLED THE MC, found adapters to go from 1/2"-10mm, bypassed the abs block and bled the entire system

Am thinking about doing this to my 88 Pathfinder. Any idea if the brake boosters between the 98 (that's your model year?) and an 88 are the same/interchangeable, or whether swapping in the Blazer (or other Chevy) booster is the way to go.

Was thinking about the hydro boost off a Astro Van's is another option as well...

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Edited by V8path

• 2 weeks later...

GM hydro boost sucks... that's all I have for input.

Sounds like you've had a very very bad experience?

I was hoping for some details on other's experiences to see if this something worth doing. Think I've a leak in my booster, and with 35" tires and more than double the HP my 88 came with, I thinks it time for an upgrade.

Anyone else have input?

MC's are Marked! for Pathy and z32 etc... Some are valved for rear drum and others are valved for rear disc. Size code below.

BM33 = 13/16

BM38 = 7/8

BM44 = 15/16

BM50 = 1"

BM57 = 1 1/16

Both my trucks say BM50 but my 89 was originally a BM44.

• Like 1