Trans Dapt. oil relocation kit issues.

drmopar

I just installed a Trans Dapt. dual oil filter relocation kit. After installation I was suspicious of the oil lines. I checked on the net and found several people with leaky hoses. No problem, I went to my local carquest dealer to order 6 ft. of Power Steering hose rated at 400lbs. When I assembled the new hoses to the brass fittings I noticed two fittings were loose. What the F???! After trying to locate 3/4NPT 1/2" line fittings, I found some at of all places Lowes in the plumbing dept.

Third attempt to install, everything worked out great. I now have 2 extra litres of oil and two oil filters at hands reach. The car runs 15 degrees cooler on a 90 degree day, due to the extra oil capacity & Dual oil filters, hopefully I will be able to extend oil changes considering a litre of racing oil is $15.00 the kit should pay for it self the first yr.

Tom

Edited by drmopar

Welcome to NPORA !!

I had the dual filter kit on my old 87 Hardbody, I bought the kit back than with transdapt's braided SS hoses, the kit's used to be available with these hoses. They worked OK for a while but the fittings on the hose ends did leak a little.

I recently attempted to put a single Transdapt relocation kit on my 94 pathfinder with custom lines and AN hose ends I bought from Summit Racing, no problems with the hoses but I was getting a large oil leak between the adapter and the block, no idea why yet I got frustrated and put the stock filter on for now.

PICS !!

Did you greese the seal on the adapter? They suggest hand tight, I am not comfortable with hand tight so I tapped the flange and gave it another 1/8th to a quarter turn, zero leaks. The reason the fittings leak is because they are a two piece fitting, crimped together. The crimp works it self loose causing the fittings to leak. This is why I got a one piece fitting from Lowes. Works awesome..

Edited by drmopar

I put oil on the O-ring as you would if it was an oil filter, I tightened the adapter by hand than used a screwdriver between the two AN adapters to turn it a little more, the amount of oil that came out, not talking about a drip, makes me think the adapter was bottoming out on the nipple and not evan touching the filter mounting surface. No idea why it would do that, this is my second adapter from Transdapt. I did not use the original adapter that I have as the O-ring appeared to not stick up above the mounting surface, the O-ring on the old adapter was a square sided O-ring, the new adapter uses a standard round sided O-ring. It was also almost cheaper to buy a new adapter compared to just the replacement O-ring

The fittings I am using on the adapter and filter mount are -10 AN to 1/2" NPT male adapter, than I bought Push on barbed -10 swivel female 45 degree hose ends,

Hello and Welcome to NPORA!

Glad you got your adapter issues sorted out. I too had a leak, but was easily able to trace it down to the swivel hose fittings that were supplied with the kit. They were pure sheit and several people had exactly the same issue. I threw those in the scrap bin and used 1 piece barbed hose end fittings and had no issue with anything else; all esle used was straight out of the kit.

2 tricks are to put teflon tape on the pipe threads, but do not overlap the first thread (so no tape can get into the oil stream), this will help seal and get them tighter. Also, when using barbed fittings, I prefer to use the wire style hose clamps as you can straddle a barb and get 2 sealing surfaces on the lands to either side of the barb while the popular worm gear ban clamp will only seal at the barb and might even cut the hose ID.

B

The trans. dapt. instructions suggest that the filter adapter may need a different nipple, or possibly trim the old one if the unit does not seat. As far as the barbed brass fittings from Trans. Dapt. Again they are garbage, toss the two piece fitting, eventually they will leak guranteed. Second the barbs are so sharp they will cut the hose. The fittings from Lowes are barbed as well but a fraction of the ridge, should cause no issues, so far so good..

I saw that in the instructions. Next oil change I'm going to take a better look at that nipple, possibly try my old adapter and see what happens, or take my new adapter to the junkyard and try it on another engine.